BootsnAll Travel Network



mountain top to beach

This story spans a couple of days, and starts high on our ‘mountain top’ overnight picnic spot. Here we had spent a very peaceful and happy few hours: the kids found bushes to play in, granite-topped tables provided our dining table and a natural spring sent a constant (if somewhat meager) supply of clear water. It was nice enough to prompt the kids to ask if they could stay there for a day, but that would have been pushing the boundaries just a little, so in the morning we coasted down from the mountain for about 30 km to the town of Carcassonne.

Carcassonne  city has the medieval town of the same name, set off to one side. This old town is so incredibly-well preserved that it looks like a Hollywood film set. (in point of fact it seems it WAS used as a film set some years ago)

It seems that it is a famous spot that ALL tourists must see. Consequently every man and his (several) dogs was here just when we were.

Also, being such a popular spot, it is a commercial money-making machine. There are interesting attractions ( Falcon-flying, Knights jousting etc) but they all cost money.

The Old Town exists within an impressive  Fortress with many ramparts, gateways’ towers, moats etc.

 

 It comprised the most intricate arrangement of defendable courtyards, keeps, staircases and mini-bridges and it made me realise that Castle design must have been a skilled profession: this was not a mad jumble of towers, staircases and crenulated battlements, but a carefully planned defence system. I was impressed.

 

The town itself  comprises many grand old buildings – most of which have been transformed into (expensive) eating houses or smart restaurants. The rest are expensive souvenir shops.

Needless to say, with 8 kids in tow, we contented ourselves with an extensive wander around the battlements and anywhere else that did not cost the earth, and stopped for a back-packed lunch on the grassy slopes. The sun blazed down from a clear blue sky – it was really hot and after 4 hrs of tramping we were beginning to wilt. So back to the van and on with the journey.

Our objective was a camp at the BEACH, and we were all looking forward to it. We continued our descent, and firstly got a glimpse of the Pyrenees in the far distance,

 

 and then our first sighting of the Mediterranean!

We continued on down through leafy glades

until we got to the town itself, and eventually worked our way through it, following GPS and signs to ‘la plage’. On arrival at the camp entrance our hearts sank a bit as we interpreted the notices outside to read ‘camp full’. I was dispatched to enquire of the guardian of the gate, if the camp was indeed full. (this is the half-deaf speaker of 60-years old schoolboy French) I asked “no places?” ‘Oui’ he said ‘no places –all full-very popular place’. At least that is what I thought he said. I returned to the van and we radio-ed the bad news to the other van. As we started to move off, the Guardian waved vigorously for us to come through! ‘Deux place?” I enquired. ‘Oui, Oui’ with more waving. As we inched through he  (I think) explained that we could not be together but to drive around until we found a spot. Well we did find two nearly-adjacent spots and then, just as we had finished setting up, some of our observant crew noticed a van pulling out – leaving two sites next to each other. Quick as a flash we up-ed-sticks and were in to the other position.

So here we are – parked on the beach front on the Mediterranean with all mod con for a very reasonable price. Store with a plentiful supply of baguettes just down the road – so we will be here for a day or two.

Tags: , , , ,



Leave a Reply