BootsnAll Travel Network



We’re going on a bear hunt…

Brasov, Romania

“Imitation is the highest form of praise.” Is that sufficient comment to release us from copyright laws regarding one of our favourite books? Hope so….here goes….

We’re going on a bear hunt
We’re going to catch a big one
It’s a beautiful day
We’re not scared (except for ERgirl3, that is)

Uh-oh, a river
A deep wide not-much-more-than-a-stream river
Can’t go over it
Can’t go under it
Oh no, we’ll have to go through it

(well, some of us managed to get OVER, others splashed through!)
splash splosh splash splosh

We’re going on a bear hunt
We’re going to catch a big one
It’s a beautiful day
We’re not scared (although ER keeps checking nothing is following us)

Uh-oh, a mountain
A straight up steep climb mountain
Can’t go under it
Can’t go round it
Oh no, we’ve got to go OVER it

Climb gasp climb gasp
Stop to admire the view
Climb gasp climb gasp

We’re going on a bear hunt
We’re going to catch a big one
It’s a beautiful day
We’re not scared (even ER is having fun, and manages to walk about 8 of the 17km)

Uh-oh, we’re at the top of the mountain and we need to get down to the valley
(…and we’re aware we’ve taken four hours to get this far….and we can see the sun is beginning to set…..)

 

So we go….
Straight down
Slipping
Straight down
Sliding
Straight down
Concentrating
Straight down
Warning others below us about falling rocks
Straight down
Helping each other
Straight down


If you look really hard, you can see Rob at the bottom of the hill – although actually it’s only about halfway.

At the bottom of the drop we are still above the pine trees
And we haven’t found our bear

We’re going on a bear hunt
We’re going to catch a big one
It’s a beautiful day
We’re not scared (not even ER)

Uh-oh, a forest
A dark green forest
Can’t go over it
Can’t go under it
Oh no, we’ve got to go through it

Stumble trip stumble trip

We’re going on a bear hunt
We’re going to catch a big one
It’s a beautiful day
We’re not scared (although darkenss is beginning to fall and even the big kids ask about bears coming out at dusk)

Uh-oh, a canyon
A deep steep-walled canyon
Can’t go over it
Can’t go under it
Oh no, we’ve got to go through it

Plod plod
As fast as we can
Plod plod

We’re going on a bear hunt
We’re going to catch a big one
It’s a beautiful day
We’re not scared (even though we’ve now realised we will not be back before dark)

Uh-oh, bear country
Possibly real live bear country
Can’t go over it
Can’t go under it
Oh no, we’ve got to go through it

And we even see a bear cave!

Kids’ comments:
Mboy7
It was really funny when I was hiding in the pine trees and rubbing a stick aginst a branch and Dad thought I was a bear – he REALLY did.

Tgirl5
The hardest thing was to get down the slippery bit of hill where the man had to help us. It was quite funny, but we were told to stop laughing and concentrate.

Lboy9
(Mother, wanting someone to mention the whey cheese purchased from a farmer en route, prompts: what was the yummiest part of the day?)
The lollies we were given at the top.

Jgirl15
The thing that surprised me was the houses on the hillside didn’t look adequate for the weather extremes they get there. That, and all the tree-branch fencing made me think of the Hmong villages in Thailand.
We met an old lady (82 years old), who looked quite frail, but there she was, herding a cow. She looked too spindly to stop it, had it chosen to ignore her commands or her stick.

Jboy13
Is there anything to say other than mentioning the climb where you think you’ve reached the top, but it’s only halfway? It was so steep, and it tires me out just thinking about it a day later (new family drama queen in the making!) Actually, the canyon was good cool nice (the linguistic police do not allow these adjectives!) big (that’s hardly any better!), amazing, massive, oh-I’m-lost-for-words, what surprised me is that in some parts of it the stream was running really fast and then in other parts it died down to absolutely no water at all, and then a little further on there would be water again. (Satisfied with this response, mother allows the cinderella to continue sweeping up after dinner – he’s a multi-tasker you know, dictating and sweeping at the same time – and moves on to the smallest family member, hoping for some meaningful contribution to her question, “What can you remember about yesterday’s walk?)

ERgirl3
Didn’t like to walk. Wif da mountains. I can’t rember da….can’t rember it. Dere were chickens and cows and sheep and I heard da cowbells. Da bear was a monster. (Well, that got all the listeners gathered around the table giggling – no wonder she was worried!)

Kgirl10
It was hard going up the very steep hill, but it was fun sliding down the other side. The river water that we drank was very cold and tasted delicious. At the end it was eerie as the rock towered above our heads while we were walking along the dark path. It was one hard climb.

Kboy12
No comment as he is out on the town with Rob while we are writing. (When they get back, they’ll disappointedly tell us they walked 9km and could not find the exhibition they went in search of!)

(And judging by his comments throughout the day and into the evening, Rob would be bound to remark what a man he was! <wink> He might even raise his shirt to display his rippling muscles! But not on the blog, of course.)



Tags: , , , , ,

4 responses to “We’re going on a bear hunt…”

  1. The Baddeleys says:

    We love that story too – I have just showed the girls your version of it!! About a month ago I was reading it, and it suddenly struck me that the dad (obviously the mummy was having a day off and Daddy was looking after the kiddos!!) had seriously under dressed the kids – especially the baby for the elements they were going to go through that day – the poor little thing is wearing a stretch n grow and they are wandering through snow and rivers….thankfully mummy had no idea (unless she read the book later!!)

    Pleased to see your family are dressed appropriately!!
    Leighxx

  2. rayres says:

    Leigh – it’s not true. The youngest member somehow managed to get out without a thermal top on and by the end of the day she was definitely complaining of being cold. We also left her gloves at home (or so we thought) – discovered them in Rob’s pocket when we returned!!!!!

  3. The Baddeleys says:

    Ha ha!! That is so not like you!! Far more like me….a couple of weeks ago at church Sam filled his nappy (big time!!) and I realised I had forgotten wipes and nappies….thankfully we are the church of many babies and there were hundreds available!

  4. Allie says:

    I can’t believe how many different types of beauty you’ve covered on this blog. Yet another unique kind here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *