BootsnAll Travel Network



to…..

on the plane towards Dubai tonight….and onwards

It’s our last day before the homeward flight tonight.
Kboy12 talks incessantly – he does that when he’s excited.
The bags are packed and stacked in the storage room. We have to confess to taking home more than we brought away – the allure of Istanbul shopping and the knowledge that we would not have to put our packs on our backs again mean we have filled them up to capacity and then have two extra boxes as well! We’re bringing home ceramic tiles and Turkish towels, a sparkly lamp and hanging light, not to mention a pile of notebooks, bookmarks and the obligatory Turkish Delight!

In the practical sense we’re ready to go home.

But we have time to kill and take a final walk, go for last shish kebabs, continue to insist to every carpet-seller, who stops us that we are not buying any Turkish rugs no matter how much we’d like to.
For two weeks we’ve been in Turkey and for the first time today we discover a brilliant BLUE sky. A summery blue beckoning us homewards. 

These grey days….

….have turned into brilliant blue. We walk the same route already taken often – past the Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, actually past lots of mosques…it all looks so different in bright light, and there’s always something different to see:

We return to the hostel, hoping to convince smallish children to nap. They do. 
Whenever someone stands up ERgirl3 asks if we’re going “to our home in Zealand now”.

We are.



Tags: , , , , ,

5 responses to “to…..”

  1. katie says:

    i just told fraser that you’re about to get on a plane, and he said, “where?” and i said, “NZ” and he said, “oh… they’ll definitely be off around the world again soon…” X

  2. Gran and Pa says:

    Thanks for the adventure.
    Safe travelling and see you all soon.
    xxx

  3. Bev says:

    Have a safe journey home. Have loved ‘walking’ with you on your travels. Wish you ease of resettlement (for however long). Take your time to get back into the swing of life in NZ – sure you’ll find it frustrating at times. May see you sometime between 31st Dec & 13th Jan – staying at J & V’s.
    Blessings!

  4. Jennyy says:

    Just wanted to say welcome back to NZ. We havent met but I read about your travels via TNN and have tuned in regularly over the past year to see what you have been up to. Thankyou SO MUCH for sharing your adventures! Its easy to see that God has blessed your family as you have explored together but i also want to say that i take my hat off to you for doing the hard yards (the getting there, the bravery to go where no family of your size has gone before, and the ‘roughing it’ that you have done!) Looking forward to seeing what the next year holds for you all. God Bless.

  5. Tara J says:

    I can’t believe I’ve bee reading your travels for over a year now! What a journey – I’ve given your link to friends and I’m sure you’ve many inspired families all over the world that now feel brave enough to travel with their own kiddies. Rach – you’ve made it feel possible. I think it must be a many home-school familys (and not homeschoolers) dream to do what you have done. God bless.
    Tara

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *