BootsnAll Travel Network



six months on

A few people have emailed to ask how we’re doing. Funny, these relationships-that-really-are-relationships-even-though-we’ve-never-met.

Anyway, the answer is………

The kids are loving being home. They enjoy having books to read, bikes to ride, trees to climb and friends to play with. They also enjoy knowing what’s going to happen on a given day and not having to share a bed or sleep on the floor. If asked if they would like to take another trip, they answer in the affirmative, sometimes with the proviso that it is only for six months.

The Dadda is also pleased to be home. He switched jobs soon after arriving back and is enjoying the stimulating and challenging environment he finds himself in. Occasionally he asks,”Who wants to go to Malaysia for a roti canai?”

The Mama is not discontent, but she is unsettled. She saw things that made her question how she is living and she is struggling with coming to terms with what that means for here and now. She questions lots and has found few answers.
She has also been collecting past experiences and putting them here. When that project is done, she’ll really want some answers.

Oh, and we should tell you, we found the perfect little piece of paradise…..ten acres that exceeded our expectations. But we were not peaceful about buying it, and so we didn’t. Crazy, but the right thing to do. We haven’t seen another piece like it since.
Maybe we’re meant to go and live in an Indian slum!



Tags: , , ,

10 responses to “six months on”

  1. Jen aka uglyduckling / Ducky says:

    great to read from you again Rach. Missing you like crazy on Natters and often wonder how you and your family are. Was just trying to think how old Miss ER would be now and if J ever got around to writing a book – such a talented young lady. Miss your thought provoking intelligence in my life, you always kept me thinking. I have very clear and vivid memories of visiting your home on our first Nattercino and hope that someday our paths will cross again. Blessings to you and yours – Jen

  2. katie says:

    If you had 6 months to travel would you do China and SE Asia…or camp in Europe? We are a family of 5 with three children (15,13 and 8). Thanks for any feedback!

  3. rayres says:

    Depends where you’re from and what you want. If we wanted *exotic*, coming from NZ we’d go for Asia (besides we love the food!). But we loved the history of Europe (which we so don’t have in NZ). Having all our gear in motorhomes and not having to unpack was nice – but hopping on trains and not having to drive was the upside in Asia for us. Being able to cook in Europe saved us lots – but eating out all the time in Asia was even cheaper!
    Not an easy question to answer.

  4. Victoria says:

    Hi Rachael
    It’s been a while since I’ve read your blog, as we’ve been busy with our own trip, but it’s good to hear how you’re all settling back into ‘normal’ life. We are in New Zealand! Heading to Auckland on 9th Jan for a few days, then off to Bay of Islands and back again sometime around 19th Jan for a few more days. I would love to meet up if you are around, so we can finally swap stories for real. You’ve provided me with so much inspiration over the last few years. We’re staying at a friend’s house on the North Shore, and I was thinking maybe a picnic in a park somewhere? Or whatever you suggest really. We won’t have a car while we’re there, so public transport acessible please.
    With all best wishes
    Victoria

  5. rayres says:

    Hi Victoria, welcome to our corner of the world, complete with cows and pavlova and glowworms!
    We’re about to head north for a week, returning on the 14th, so we might manage to catch up after that. Comment again and I’ll check the blog when we get back.
    Kind regards
    Rachael

  6. Victoria says:

    Hi Rachael,
    We’re in Auckland until 17th Jan then we’re going to the Bay of Islands for a few days, back to Auckland on 21st then off to Sydney on 23rd. We’ve not booked our Bay of Islands trip yet, need to hire a car and book campsite, but those are the dates we’re currently planning around. Would rather not do something on 22nd, but other than that we’re free. Any of those days suit?
    Best wishes
    Victoria

  7. Victoria says:

    Hi Rachael, quick update, we’re now in Russell from 16th to 20th and in Auckland apart from that. Best wishes

  8. rayres says:

    Victoria – it’s not going to work (sob) We’ve got back from our own camping up north (hope you enjoyed the north – not too bad weather eh!) and Rob’s decided to abduct me for a night before he goes back to work. We have had ZERO success with meeting up with “virtual” people on the road – our trend continues! Do enjoy the rest of your journey.

  9. Tatyana says:

    Hi Rachael,
    This is Tatyana from Moscow.
    How are you? We worry about you besause of the earthquake. We don’t know what place you are living in, hope, it is far from this horror. Our children are interested in all in New Zealand after your visit. You are very good, we want you to be happy and peaceful.
    If it is not hard for you, please, reply to me in this blog or by email: tatagreen@mail.ru

  10. Rachael says:

    Thanks for asking Tatyana – we still remember our wonderful time with you – every time we put your beautiful salt shaker on the table!
    We live in Auckland, in the north island, far from the tragedy. Rob’s sister and her family are in Christchurch, but all have survived.
    Thanks again for your concern.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *