BootsnAll Travel Network



moving again

Budapest, Hungary

Our final day in Krakow is Independence Day. Undoubtedly there will be a big parade. Patriotism runs rife here. There will be red and white flags flapping, national costumes, brass bands, pomp and circumstance.
But it’s pouring with rain, absolutely bucketing down, and we make the decision to remain hermits in the hostel; we’re going to get wet enough walking to the bus station this afternoon. In over thirteen months, this will be the first time we have been stuck unavoidably in pouring rain with packs on our backs. Can’t complain really.

And we were right. There *was* a big celebration. As we stumbled along the puddle-filled cobblestone streets for the last time, we were not alone. The parade-goers were all heading home, still clutching their flags. The police were still stationed near important monuments  – remember the horse monument we walked past on our first night? As we left, it had an enormous flame burning in front of it, and the metal barricades were in the process of being removed. We definitely missed something.

But we gained something else. Obviously that day it had started snowing in the mountains and the children got to see for the first time what it looks like when snow is just beginning to fall – how the green grass still pokes through, how there are big dark shadows underneath trees, how it sticks just a little to the road signs, how you can still see the different patterns of tiles on roofs, how the trees are gently outlined. Further on was the deeper storybook snow similar to what we saw coming across Russia. And, just like back then, everyone wished aloud that we could STOP. 


please excuse photo quality – through foggy window on moving bus with snow falling outside

But public busses don’t stop. Although sometimes they DEPART half an hour early, even without all the passengers. And sometimes they double-book seats. At least, those are the experiences of some other people, who had previously used the company we picked. Our budget dictated that we take the risk – and make it to the station with plenty of time to spare. Our decision was well-rewarded. What a surprise; here was the nicest (by far) bus we have been on. Airline-style seats and overhead lockers, free hot drinks, onboard toilet for urgent cases (heehee), DVDs with personal headsets, smooth driving and a half-hour early arrival.

Good-bye Poland, hello Hungary (albeit briefly).

Quote of the day: ”My bed’s got bones in it.” ~ ERgirl3, who clearly did not appreciate the luxury of an innersprung mattress.



Tags: , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *