BootsnAll Travel Network



happy new year (again)

Ho Chi Minh City, VietnamĀ 

The Saigon buzz energises. There are flashing lights and flying flags, highrise buildings and narrow alleys of intrigue, delightful boutiques and noodle stalls.

All this is augmented by the fact that it is New Year (our fourth New Year since leaving home less than four months ago – Thai, Hmong, International and now Chinese). In Vietnam, where it is known as TET, it is the biggest holiday of the year. Streets are lined with red and yellow flowers, mandarin trees, bonsai trees, dragon fruit trees, trees shaped like buffalo (it’s the year of the ox coming, you know)…..there are red packets, red and gold lanterns, red everything for sale. Twisting to the thump of big drums on carts and the clang of cymbals are dragons winding their way up the streets, scaring away evil spirits and delighting tourists (we’re staying in backpacker mecca so there are plenty of them about).

 



Tags: ,

2 responses to “happy new year (again)”

  1. May says:

    Gong Xi Fa Cai! You must be enjoying all the sights and sounds!

  2. Fiona Taylor says:

    In the top photo, are those power lines at the top forming black ribbons??

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *