BootsnAll Travel Network



did you hear them?

the two little girls, that is.
You see, the last kids went for the final round of rabies/typhoid vaccinations this morning. 
But then there was still a Mantoux test for the little girlies at another lab. As soon as I tried to unbutton her sleeve, ER(2) dissolved in a puddle of tears. Oh, let’s be honest, she started howling and kicking. T4 went out in sympathy. Both of them yowling, just a thin partition away from an overflowing waiting room. I managed to calm T4 before the syringes were drawn up, but they called another nurse to help me hold her down anyway. Just as well – it took both of us. As soon as the skin was punctured she yelled without any inhibition at all at the nurse, “You’re hurting me.” ER, meanwhile, threw herself to the floor crying, “No, no, no, don’t hurt me, don’t touch me”.
The girls swapped positions and I struggled to get the sleeve unbuttoned. I might be bigger than her, but that wee two year old is almost as strong! And I’d got the wrong sleeve. Sigh.
More struggles, and the jab was done. I was relieved we couldn’t understand everything she verbalised!

I didn’t think the nurse would believe they had barely even uttered a squeak for their first vaccination three weeks ago, so I just apologised on their behalf and mentioned they’d had a few more jabs than they were comfortable with recently.
Bad Mother Syndrome evaporated when they managed “Thank you” for the teddy bear stickers (and I vowed to myself to bribe the four year old before her last jab on Monday).

Assuming no-one needs a rabies booster, we’ll have had 86 pricks by the time we’ve finished! 



Tags:

2 responses to “did you hear them?”

  1. Sharonnz says:

    Ouchie! One thing I don’t miss about all that travel.

  2. katie says:

    what sharon said, lol X

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *