BootsnAll Travel Network



culture of corruption

by someone, who hasn’t quite got over it yet
Phnom Penh, Cambodia

 

Unfortunately it makes us suspicious and a little cynical.

Way back at the border, the tuktuk drivers tried to tell us that Cambodians are corrupt and we should use their special visa services. We ignored them and went straight to the consulate. Where, we now realise, we got ripped off! To the tune of US$120. Remember those ratbag officials, who insisted we had to pay for the under-12s visas???? Well, yesterday at the hospital I noticed in K9’s passport it said we paid nothing. GRRRRRRRR. We didn’t pick it up at the time, because the tuktuk drivers were hurrying us on – we insisted on checking that the names and dates on each visa were correct, but failed to notice that it said we paid $20 for the adult ones and “gratis” for the kiddies. It had been such an ordeal at the time that I was in the right frame of mind to challenge it – if only we had been more observant.

Then everyone drives such a hard bargain. Throughout Thailand and Laos a gentle conversation brings a fair price rather quickly. Here you almost argue, walk away, threaten, show your guidebook to prove you know your prices……and they still don’t budge below two or three times a fair price.

But today we are sitting at our guesthouse giving the children a quiet day, wondering whether or not they are well, trying to decide if we are looking at heat rash or something more sinister creeping over Tgirl4’s body.
There have been no tuktuk negotiations, no official rip-offs (unless you count the doughnuts we didn’t order at the market this morning, but were overcharged for!!!!), no unfair suspicions, no cynicism.

Just reflection of our Cambodian journey so far:

 

 



Tags: , , , ,

4 responses to “culture of corruption”

  1. Viv says:

    Here’s hoping you are all well again soon.

  2. grandpabear says:

    you’ve only got to read a bit of Proverbs to reaalise that corruption and/or dishonesty is as old as mankind itself. So why have some cultures descended into a lifestyle of corruption. and why did some rise above it? I think it can be traced back to a sense of what is right, and what isn’t. And that sense comes right back to a healthy respect for our Maker, the one true God who laid down hard but very simple laws about living.
    Oh, most western cultures have now grown older and wiser, and discount religion especially Christianity) as being irrelavent in this Enlightened age. So now we all do what we think is right – and don,t you try and tell anyone what that is – each has their own standards! No, the further we drift away from Christian values and virtues, the closer we will become a corrupt people.
    Here endeth the Lesson!

  3. Beverley says:

    So sorry to hear of your rushed visit to hospital. A bit scary for you I’m sure. Hope you all are 100% well again soon.
    Blessings!

  4. Hello,

    I have sent you the e-mail. Take care, Rith

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *