BootsnAll Travel Network



crafted

by a crafter
Tallinn, Estonia

What a wonderful array of handcrafted items – and what’s more, you can even watch the masters at work.
For you wool-workers out there, you would have loved this shop. Just look at all those hand-knit socks and mittens….and needle-felted bits and bobs…..and there were intricate lace scarves and wooden toys and handmade wooden spoons in all manner of shapes and sizes, and wrought iron handles and candlesticks, all jumbled together in the same shop.

 

If knitting isn’t your thing, maybe you’d have preferred watching the glass-blower:

And by special request, here’s a sampling of what’s been coming off *my* needles, just for you Karen:

Dadda-sized “Cast on karst”

Two for Mama (Slouch Socks and Trans-Siberian Lace)

And lots of kiddly-sizes (not all are in photo as many are on feet!):
All named of course: Lick-A-Lollipop, Judder Bars (not only in memory of the stripes, but of the Chinese road they were knit on), Mekong Mountains, Made In China, Leftover Lace, Muddy River, Totally China (even the wool was bought there).
Right now I’m knitting “Snow Melts”.

Not that I’m the only one creating stuff. Look at what Kboy11 got up to for a couple of days, helping a half-Finnish Australian girl create a new room under a side roof – together they cut a door hole in the wall, laid floorboards, made a door and furnished it with second-hand finesse.



Tags: , , , , , , ,

7 responses to “crafted”

  1. Sharonnz says:

    Gasp. THANKS for those pics…those sweet birds are adorable and there were shrieks of delight all round at the teeny Tomtens;-) And YOU! Sock knitting factory – I’m truely in awe! Who would believe you only learned to knit in the round a few years ago!

  2. nova says:

    ooo might have to copy those birds! as sharon said – adorable! lol i knew she’d like the tomtens too 😉 and glass blowing is so fascinating to watch isn’t it?!

    that is a *lot* of socks for such a (relatively!) short time! very impressed 😀

  3. Allie says:

    I would have emptied my wallet easily in that glass shop and then had to figure out how to get it all home. Beautiful.
    Kboy11’s room is the stuff of childhood dreams.

  4. Naomi says:

    wonderful socks! is it just mama bear that knits? That is a great skill to pass on.

  5. Mari says:

    Tere Kiwifamily,
    I’m the reporter with the sidekick, reporting back again!
    I hope you enjoy our neighboring Latvia these days!!! And here is the link for a little but warm piece I wrote about your world discovering trip: http://www.epl.ee/artikkel/467299
    Needless to say, all seven comments are both amazed and supportive.
    Buena suerte to everybody!!!

  6. rayres says:

    Grandma knits. Some of the children do too.

  7. Fiona Taylor says:

    The article looks great! The words look interesting 🙂
    Like Allie, I would have bought lots of glasses and wondered how to get them home!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *