BootsnAll Travel Network



Boots-n-all Plug

Time to rave about Boots-n-all.
They’re a friendly bunch over on the fora….full of good ideas and just as opinionated as I am;-)
Said fora are well-organised, easy to negotiate and there’s something for everyone -and I mean EVERY-SINGLE-BODY.
You post a question and you get a few replies.
Even if you ask a question that’s been asked seventeen times before, someone jumps in with a polite and no-less-informative-than-the-first-time-the question-was-asked reply.
You start up a blog (this one), you run into a few inevitable-for-newbies-hitches and someone waves a magic wand or kicks their computer harder than you kicked your own and ~ voila ~ fixed!
Did I mention friendly replies to posts?
They make you feel so at home that last night I found myself posting the wildest of questions.
Wild – not in the African safari sense – wild in a I’m-a-product-of-an-individualistic-independent-I’ll-do-it-my-way-society kind of way…..and there I was asking total strangers where we should go after England.
I mean to say, what would they care?
For gooness sake, if you can’t decide *where* to go, how on earth do you think you are going to manage to get there? That woulda been my answer;-)

But you know what?
They told me exactly where to go (and it was not in the slightest impolite!)

“They” – yes, “they” – “more than one” sent a reply flying through cyberspace.

Here’s my favourite one:

Personally, I think you’ll know what you want to do by the time you get there. I know you’ve got a lot of kids so you probably have to do more logistics up front than most, but there is no reason you can’t decide this later on in your trip. You’ll hear about a lot of other places from the travelers you meet along the way. Something you hear will inspire you.

Do you see what I see? For a start, even though I’m fairly new to the board, he knows a bit about me. That sense of community is really rather endearing! Secondly, he is realistic (or more to the point, he’s not a total head-in-the-clouds-fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants guy – well, he might be, but at least he understands that travelling with a bunch of kiddos = some constraints). Thirdly, he leaves me a sense of anticipation, intrigue, excitement (in spite of his American spelling!). And, finally, though I didn’t realise it when I posted my “where on earth to go?” question, he said what I deep down wanted to hear!

Of course, it would feel frivolously irresponsible to leave home not knowing where we’re going, especially with eight kids in tow, but oh the allure!!!!! I suspect we’ll end up doing just that!
What’s the worst that could happen? If we get stuck, we can log on to Boots-n-all and *someone* will have some good advice to get us unstuck. And whatever “it” is, it’ll make interesting reading on our blog!



Tags: , , ,

3 responses to “Boots-n-all Plug”

  1. Jessica says:

    Thanks for the kind words about the BootsnAll Community! 🙂 We try really hard to make it a welcoming place for people of all stripes to talk about the thing we all love – TRAVEL – and it’s great to hear that you’ve had a good experience on the boards. I look forward to seeing your thoughtful replies to other members’ questions when you’re back from your trip and full of all kinds of travel wisdom!! 🙂

  2. I completely agree. I’m new to the Boots’n All forums too – and very pleasantly surprised. I had long given up posting on travel forums… for each decent answer, I had to wade through a dozen idiotic remarks of the “Stay home!” variety. This is entirely different – people actually WANT to help you with your trip. I wish them all the best – they bring out the best in me.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *