BootsnAll Travel Network



belonging in bulgaria

Biser, Bulgaria

 

It may only be our third day in Biser, but we feel quite settled, as if we’ve been here forever.
As we walk down to The Shop to buy our “dva chleb” (two bread), we pass a man walking up the middle of the road and we exchange greetings as if we *have* been here forever. Already we know that we too will soon have to leave the goat-dropping-covered pavement and join the man walking on the road, because the footpath will be too overgrown with weeds to negotiate. Yesterday this surprised us – today we know. Besides, we also know there’s not much traffic on the road. In fact, only one car passes us on its way to “town”. And even that one stops. It’s Farmer Ivan and he wants to check we ate apples for breakfast. He also wants to tell his driver that the four children with me are only half the brood, there are eight of them, yes eight children and they all come from New Zealand.
On the way home we are passed by one horse and cart and one car – Farmer Ivan’s driver without the farmer, but it would seem he is now a friend too and he gives us a big wave.
Are all Bulgarians so friendly, or is this just one of the joys of small community living?

All day long an assortment of horses and carts passes along the road. They have been doing this forever. Maybe that’s what gives this place a forever feel.



Tags: ,

One response to “belonging in bulgaria”

  1. Gran and Pa says:

    Isn’t it funny how we can prejudge a counyry without ever being there and be so wrong. Photos tell their own story. have arelaxing time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *