BootsnAll Travel Network



beach day

Vung Tau, Vietnam 

 

So where in the world are we?
On the South China Sea, at a little seaside town called Vung Tau, where we have only found one person who speaks any (very little – but more than we speak Vietnamese) English. We had read it is a bass thumping place at weekends and deserted during the week. So we decided to turn up on Sunday as everyone headed home to Saigon. We didn’t count on Tet!
Sunday…weekend….meant to have bass heavy music blaring.
But it didn’t. It was quiet. Eerily deserted. Look at the main street:

 

We walked up and down the streets and there was no-one about. Those who could be seen were sleeping, and it was the middle of the day. We felt like we were in a story that hadn’t been written yet! The illustrations were proving to be fascinating though:

Then the drumming started. Faintly at first, but getting increasingly louder and louder and louder, until half an hour later it was right under our window. And with the drumming came a crowd. So there were people here!

insert that main street pic og busy day we haven’t taken yet

And even more will come. On Tuesday, the day after family-happy-new-year-visiting, the town will come alive. You won’t be able to move on the beach for people. The streets will be teeming. Guest houses and eating establishments that are closed for our first two days, will throw open their metal grills and invite the hordes in. Tables and chairs, tandem bikes and hawkers will appear on the pavement. There will be a total transformation. But that’s all tomorrow. Today it’s still a quiet seaside town. Vung Tau.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *