BootsnAll Travel Network



ancient, old, long in the tooth

We have a jar of questions/statements/riddles on the dining room table to prompt dinner-time discussion. Sounds like it’s a regular thing, doesn’t it?Actually, we just started this week!
The first question was: what is your earliest memory? Poor old M5 blurted out “I can’t remember anything” – I guess he doesn’t really have much of a history yet!
But Grandpa does. He thought he couldn’t remember back very far, but he does have three quarters of a century to go! He made it almost to the beginning, to an incident when their family was leaving India to head back to England on the ship……which somehow led to the brothers counting chickenpox on each other……to a model biplane on an aunt’s mantlepiece, which he wasn’t allowed to touch…..to a game another aunt had, a wooden one with a stick in the corner of a board from which hung a ball on a string, and there were skittles to knock over…….

“I’ve seen that”, J13 cried gleefully, “there’s one at the Howick Historic Village”

Ah yes, old, old, history is old, and another link is made, on the blog and between the generations.

Love those dinnertime discussions.



Tags: , , ,

-1 responses to “ancient, old, long in the tooth”

  1. jen says:

    i love history when its made to come alive
    Im sure the memories and discussion was interesting

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *