BootsnAll Travel Network



Ali’s Nest

by Rachael

Snuggled in a row of houses along Robert’s Lane is Ali’s house. It’s where Ali lives with his family, including girlfriend, daughter, two nephews, a niece, sister and deaf mother. Fading photos of previous generations line the walls, as well as Boy Ali and his six siblings. Serious Chinese eyes stare down at us. Smiling Chinese faces have welcomed us into their home. We live alongside them, sharing showers, toilets, fans, kitchen sink for washing dishes and brushing teeth, staircase that is so steep I am somewhat inclined to call it a ladder, their Bible verses on the walls and altar with red-glowing lights and incense burning downstairs, their bamboo washing poles ~ how Chinese laundry is that?!!!! Look, here’s K10 learning how to hang the washing out:
Chinese Laundry

The first night we drove through Little India, resplendent with the lights of DeepavaliSerangoon Rd at night 

Happy Deepavali

and turned into a small lane, the one where we were to stay. Rob’s first impression was *what have we come to?*. Mine was relief that the door was open and Ali himself appeared, with broad smile and extended hand, to greet us.

Ali's Nest

By the next morning Rob was writing home “clean and tidy enough….but definitely one star”. Talking with the children was interesting. Their perspective was that this family must be rich, because they have so many beds and have food to eat and share with us. The adults saw crumbling walls, unfinished surfaces, exposed wiring, wrinkly lino, holes in roof, missing floorboards, falling apart beds (and that was BEFORE Grandpa’s excitement – see below), Chinese laundry, ad hoc additions, handless clock on wall…..

And today we walked to Raffles Hotel!

raffles

Two of us could stay for one night in the cheapest room for the same price as a week for all of us at Ali’s! Guess where we’d rather be. OK, Raffles would be nice, but would we get to live with a real live Singaporean family? Would we see 87-year-old Grandma go off with her barrow to collect *recycling* materials? Would the children be able to chat with an accomplished chef (that’s Ali – he worked as a chef in Holland for many years, returning to his native country, indeed to the family home, a decade ago)? No, we wouldn’t, but Rob thinks the freshly squeezed orange juice beside the swimming pool would taste mighty good! And M6 observed that the marble floors are just like the floors of the Winter Palace in St Petersburg, and that it would make lots of marbles!! But really, we are delighted to be safely ensconced in Ali’s Nest. At least most of us are. M6 is struggling with the heat. His journal entry today went like this: We are in a very hot house. I would rather be back at home than in the hot house, because it’s much cooler. In the sun it was 38 degrees and that just shows how hot it was! Even when it’s raining it’s really hot.

Last word from Grandpa:

Ali’s Nest is a friendly establishment, run by a most affable Ali. Scattered around the premises in odd places, like the kitchen, washhouse etc, are evidences of on-going maintenance efforts. Mainly trowels and paint scrapers. But be not deceived – I discovered today that Ali’s skills do not extend to bed-frame upkeep. Exhausted after a very hot hike around the city, I sank wearily onto the edge of my bed, with a sigh of relief just escaping my lips. It was cut short however by a rending cracking sound, which accompanied my rapid descent floorwards. Bedbase, mattress, sheets and self were in a bit of a tangle on the floor, with my legs still hanging over the edge of the remaining framework. Of course, it was the matter of mere moments for an agile 76 year old, to disentangle himself, and re-assemble the pile of matchwood. Needless to say the exercise, carried out in haste in 30*C plus 99% humidity, left me in a bit of a lather, but all was well.



Tags:

6 responses to “Ali’s Nest”

  1. jen says:

    interesting post
    the children will learning more staying at Alis
    poor M6 i like it hot but not too hot and I do not like humidity – thats the worst bit I reckon
    hope your ok after your fall

  2. Fiona Taylor says:

    Oh, the adventure- wahoo! Trust that Grandpa is ok! What a fright, but I did enjoy the description. I can imagine how very relieved you must have been to arrive there. Great to have time at Raffles! )Had interesting experience there with Satay meal. Not recommended before a long flight!!!!) Loved the photo of hanging washing. Amazing to be with real people on your trip. Will be praying for you!!

  3. MarthaAnn says:

    So very interesting. I jump over to your site ever so often. But, now that the journey has begun I will be coming to your site daily to read ALL your reports.

    Stay well and safe.

    MarthaAnn

  4. rayres says:

    Jen, you are so right – we are all learning at Ali’s!!!!
    Fiona – what on earth were you doing eating at Raffles???????
    MarthaAnn….any link to you so I can come and say HI?

  5. Fiona Taylor says:

    Eating at Raffles happened in the life before marriage and children!! The night is etched in my mind though! mmmm

  6. MarthaAnn says:

    I don’t have a Blog or web page. My husband retired last year so I travel through NATIONAL GEOGRAPHICS readings and most recently finding great blogs like yours. My e-mail was typed in when I left the earlier reply, did it nor show up on your message. We live in North Florida and we are having a true FALL day here— This is our COLUMBUS DAY over here in the USA.

    MarthaAnn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *