BootsnAll Travel Network



winter wander

Five years ago we headed out to Karekare, our favourite black sand wild west coast beach, on a windy day in the middle of winter.
We took the photo that has since been our trademark…

at the edge of the world

Today, again the middle of winter, and no less windy, we returned to the same spot…

Family June 2012_16_DxO

Often we were asked why we did not have a faces-showing photo…..five years ago, with children ranging from just one year old to twelve, it was tricky to get everyone looking straight at the camera, smiling and not squinting or grimacing or pulling faces and not sticking legs out to trip each other up – ack, who am I kidding? simply looking pleasant would have been good enough! So we walked away from the camera, and decided that would do.

Turns out, five years on, things aren’t too different…..
Family June 2012_25_DxO

Figuring that reducing the numbers of participants would improve the odds for a good shot, we sent the frozen girls running down the beach to warm up while we arranged the boys on an old log sticking out of the sand. Unfortunately there is not one photo that they are all happy to share! Noone wants to be the one famous in blogland for having his eyes closed or lips pursed.
But the girls, on their return, took the award for favourite-photos-of-the-day:

Family June 2012_63_DxO

Family June 2012_64_DxO

We were also asked why there were not so many photos of the parents, so here’s a start.
Family June 2012_34_DxO



Tags:

5 responses to “winter wander”

  1. Sharonnz says:

    Gorgeous family.

  2. Rosemary says:

    Not so much of a diffence in height with Mama now! Beautiful pics….and beautiful family 🙂

  3. Rosemary says:

    *difference* !

  4. Don McInnes says:

    We loved the photos. Must have good looking grandparents I would say.

  5. Yvette says:

    Echoing others when I say wow, what a gorgeous family. And wow kids never stop growing eh? 🙂

    Btw just got back from merry old England and I promised a brief report… really enjoyed Oxford, particularly staying in a college (I’m guessing you’re CouchSurfing, but if not you should totally stay in one) and contemplating how much intellectual knowledge the lovely carved beams and gargoyles have seen! And alas the only museum I had time to stick my nose in was the Natural History/ Pitt Rivers Museum but it was super cool and definitely a place for kids- lots of crazy stuff in the collection, plus cool that there’s the extra element of it being THE world’s first dinosaur bone or THE dodo that’s from Alice in Wonderland…

    For London I’m guessing you can easily fill a week without my advice 😉 but don’t underestimate the British Museum’s treasure trove for sure! More on my blog later about all this soon, I hope…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *