BootsnAll Travel Network



kids click

Paestum, Italy

A quiet day at the beach with pictures of clear blue water reflecting clear blue sky, a heat haze shimmering on the horizon, just might be too taunting a post two days in a row. But looking through the pictures the children have taken, we see a few snippets of stories and random thoughts that have not yet made it into a blog post, so we share them now. If it’s any consolation, while the others have bathed, I have spent these two days cooped up in the steaming van with only the computer for company, trying to catch up pictures and posts, and research onward travel.


Usually The Bear Cave travels in front (main exceptions being when The Other Van overtakes on a hill just because it can…but then it just has to wait for the other to catch up, because it never knows where it’s going!) This is why most of the van-in-a-picture shots are of The BC. In the mountains, however, a few times The BC front seat passenger was able to point the camera at us when they had already gone around a hairpin bend…


On the wriggly road to Sorrento The Bear Cave met a bus. Cars were parked on both sides of the road, along with a few motorbikes – and of course there was the motorbike that tried to get through even though there was not even room for just the biggies….back and forth they tangoed until they found the optimal passing distance, which as you can see, was Very Close (read Less Than An Inch)…..other times we have seen people getting out of parking spaces by driving right into the bumper behind them and then squeezing forwards.


Road signs in Italy can be confusing….trying to differentiate between advertisements and the direction you might be looking for is made no easier by the fact that colour of signs is irregular – sometimes black and white for place-names, sometimes green and white, sometimes gold on brown, sometimes blue and white….and ditto for adverts!


There is, of course, a wealth of magnificent artwork lining walls and floors and ceilings of this country….we have only sampled a small amount, and only in passing…..we have not visited any art galleries or museums for the express purpose of viewing the Masters……but we have seen plenty.


Although there are more mosaics here than anywhere else we’ve been, there are fewer than we expected.


The zoom on the camera the kids use is better than ours!


Grapes grow on near-vertical cliffs.


Baba come wrapped in a fancy package….and are deliciously light and spongey (quite unlike all the other very dry Italian delights we have tried) and dripping liquer richness.


No story, just contemplative moments captured by a big sister.



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *