BootsnAll Travel Network



where are we?

Eceabat, Turkey (via Pergamum and Canakkale)

Immediately after breakfast severe cramps grip my stomach. Could it be the super-salty pickles we just ate with our eggs and tomatoes? Surely not that quickly! Is it perhaps the pide we ate for dinner last night? Quite possibly – we were charged 50% more than the verbally quoted price, and maybe it left more than just a stale taste in the mouth! There’s certainly no denying – as the day proceeds I look greener and greener and become decreasingly aware of my surroundings….where are we?

We start the day at Ancient Anywhere. Actually, it’s Pergamum, but when you don’t feel so crash hot, all crumbling stones look much the same.

then there really should be a picture of Rob, but he was behind the camera all day, so here’s one more cute girl he snapped….

We could be in Italy – the buildings sport Italian-looking stone work, outdoor ovens, and there’s an abundance of yellowish-green pine trees.

We could be in Greece – the countryside has that rocky (no, boulder-y) look.

I hallucinate back to yesterday (just kidding – I merely remember!) The countryside had taken on a kiwi flavour for a while – rolling scrub-covered hills, dark pines, sheep.

I’m brought back to the present as a dog runs out onto the road. This could be Cambodia.

After driving five hours over winding roads (on an empty stomach, which, in retrospect was a bad idea!), we reach the ferry terminal, and we could be anywhere in Asia. Extreme Asia. Here people don’t just stroke the children’s hair – they smother the little girls with kisses, taking the wee faces in their hands and plastering their shows of affection all over the slightly hesitant cherubs. Ah, that’s right – such intense displays have been reserved for Turkey – that’s where we must be.

As the boat docks, we see the lights from the hostel – thank goodness it’s easy to find! Without further ado, we all crawl into bed to face a bad night – it’s one of our squeeze-into-only-six-beds-due-to-cost-nights. To make matters worse, it’s one of our find-a-hostel-room-with-no-window nights too. This will not be a day to forget.



Tags: , , , ,

2 responses to “where are we?”

  1. katie says:

    hippy happy christmas you lovely lot.
    hope the bugs have flown away be now rach X

  2. katie says:

    BY.
    oh dear. yep, definitely a katiecomment X

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *