BootsnAll Travel Network



crossing the road

Brasov, Romania

If there’s one thing we’ve learnt, it’s that each country – and in some countries, each city – has its own etiquette for getting from one side of the road to the other.
On our first day in Brasov, one of the first things we needed to do was cross the road. Leo, who had come to pick us up, led the way. We were all standing at the side of the road, backpacks on backs, two big pots on trolley, little children’s hands held tightly. To us, the road appeared to be full of traffic. We were prepared to wait for it to pass. Not Leo. He strode out into the middle of it and it all stopped.
“Come on,” he called back over his fast disappearing shoulder.
Tentatively, we too stepped out.

When we were on our own we were still not as confident as our host. At least, not until we had observed the traffic patterns for a bit. It would seem to us that while a pedestrian can step out and expect the traffic to halt, there is also an underlying etiquette at work. If the traffic is already backed up for people crossing the road when you appear at the curb, it is polite to wait. We find ourselves erring on the side of being too polite, resulting in cars stopping for us and drivers having to urge us across!

We still find ourselves looking the wrong way up the street Just To Make Sure – there have been plenty of countries where it was quite acceptable for vehicles to use any lane in any direction, instilling in us a sense of over-precaution. But until you are familiar with a new place, is it not a matter of better safe than sorry?
Looking the wrong way is completely unnecessary here. People both travel the right way, and as already mentioned, display a propensity to stop if you advance.

One thing that is peculiar to Romania is carparking. Take a look at the contraptions, which line residential streets:

If you want to park there, you’ll need the key to release the lock. Ingenious really.

And while we are talking about parking, would you like to take a look at what’s parked around our area?



Tags: , ,

One response to “crossing the road”

  1. Mike (init) says:

    Hello there – some years ago we were driving through a town in France (Dreux? Evreux?) and a woman was waiting with a pushchair (now called a “buggy”!) beside a pedestrian crossing. Being a polite Englishman, I stopped to allow her to cross. She refused! She waved me on so after some counter-waving I drove on and, in my mirror, I saw her cross immediately.
    Now in France the law has changed. One enters a village to be confronted with a panel stating “7 Passages” and sure enough, every few metres (or yards!) there are white lines painted on the road, sometimes just opposite a completely isolated house, sometimes for no apparent reason at all. And people now tend to march straight onto crossings, expecting traffic to halt. “I know my rights!”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *