BootsnAll Travel Network



Finally Killini

Another beach just south of Patra, Greece

Well, not Killini.
We had a close look at the map. Our initial thoughts of going right around the Peloponnese were brought to an abrupt halt when we decided to walk in The Apostle Paul’s Footsteps…and to do so Not Too Quickly. So even Killini was off the cards and we headed for a pay stopping place with power and water at Kalogria instead. Nice drive. Quiet roads. Splendid scenery.

Camping spot closed. No power. No water.
Aromatic pine trees have my eyes streaming and within minutes give rise to my first use of Ventolin for the whole trip. We find a friendly tavern owner, who lets us fill up with water, offers the use of the outdoor shower and would let us stay for free, but we head somewhere where there are no pine trees.
All along the coast, the beaches, which presumably were thronging with people only days or weeks ago, are totally deserted. Permanent umbrellas are the only reminder that summer WAS here. We’re so pleased we experienced the hideous heat of August; today is decidedly autumnal. For the last few evenings there have been magnificent thunder storms. The wind is howling and waves are crashing with a thundering roar on the pebbles. Far out the sea is still blue, but in close to shore it’s grey and wild. It’s no longer beach weather. We feel like we timed the hot stuff perfectly well…..there will be no regrets about needing to leave the beaches and head for history.

At least, not until the morning looks like this and the thermometers shoot up past thirty again in the afternoon!!



Tags: , ,

One response to “Finally Killini”

  1. grandpabear says:

    Just catching up on your latest posts. Greece seems to be justifying it’s reputation – it looks absolutely stunning. Needless to say I am full of mixed feelings – it all looks so good, maybe I should have stayed on with you etc etc! I love the goats and the beaches and and….. By the way, I am surprised the trebuchet kids didn’t try out the ‘lost’ spaghetti as a missile – that would have been quite spectacular too.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *