BootsnAll Travel Network



Yin dee doi!

After a long day of visiting schools…all I needed was a shower. As we drove up, I was presented with a ticket and an invitation to attend the dormitory students (matium 3 and 6) graduation at 5:30. It was 5:15. Tables were set up on the lawn and the stage was set. Each class put together a performance…some sang, some danced, some told jokes…they were all light hearted and more fun then the tradition Thai performances I had attended in the past. A few students stood up to speak…say their thank yous to their classmates and teachers…although I couldn’t understand much, their expressions and emotions said enough. Tears streamed as they hugged on stage and embraced each other…when the head boy and girl of matium 3 class got up to speak, her tears held back her speech.. It is quite uncustomary to touch someone of the opposite sex in public…especially if you’re a student. I could tell all she wanted to do was embrace him. They looked at each other and gave quite uncustomary deep, slow wais. After a few more performances, they started loading the chairs on stage…the Thai teacher grabbed my hand and said , “Come Kim…“ surprised I wasn’t already up and out of my seat like the rest of the teachers. I sat up on stage between the director and the teachers as the students lined up one by one. They each handed me a white string. I glanced at the other teachers…and tied the strings on the students’ arms one by one following suit. After a few ties…I whispered to another English teacher a few chairs down…“what’s congratulations”. She laughed and realized I had been caught off guard and thrown up there. “Yin Dee Doi”, she replied back. I continued with each student as they bowed at my feet…some fighting off tears…“yin dee doi…choke dee (good luck)“. “thank you teacha,” their reply. The ceremony was moving and unexpected. Mikwamsuk (happy) and siajai (sad) all at the same time.

**Ive posted some more pictures on-line under “my last month…” There is one quite disturbing I caught at an elementary school. Of course…I was the only one thrown off by it…



Tags:

One response to “Yin dee doi!”

  1. uncle pete says:

    wow, sounded like a very moving experience for not only the students, but for you as well! yes, there are aspects of our youth and the violence in our streets at times that are best not passed on to other parts of the world. that is an area where their culture and simpler life could teach we westerners a few things.

    you’ve successfully made your mark there, and had quite the experiences to boot. methinks you’ll be missed by all those whose lives you’ve touched there, and you’ll return a better person person yourself. there’s no reason you can’t continue such studies either in thailand, or other parts of the world where your services would be welcomed and appreciated. now is the time, while still young,able, willing, and of an adventurous spirit! no matter what you decide to do after returning to the states, the short time you’ve spent there will live in your memory the rest of your life, as well as in the youngsters you’ve endeavoured to educate.

    we all look forward to you return in the near future.

    uncle pete

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *