BootsnAll Travel Network



Monkeys Everywhere…

This weekend I went to Lop Buri for the day. Lop Buri, formerly known as Lawo, was one of the important ancient towns of the Khmers period during the 10th -13th centuries. Khmer ruins are scattered throughout the town that was built around the remaining ancient architecture. What’s most special about this small town, however, is there infestation of monkeys. As soon as I entered the city via motorcy (motorbike) there were monkeys roaming everywhere…through the street, among the ruins, swimming in fountains, and swinging from the trees and telephone wires. Although the city discouraged the monkeys at first, they realized it brought in revenue as a tourist attraction. Now they celebrate the monkeys with a yearly festival- dancing in the streets and offering the monkeys the best of the best.

After walking around the town and amongst the ruins most of the day…I watched the monkeys swim. They were just like the kids at a swimming pool I once guarded at. They dove in and played tag, swam in circles and dunked each other. I had to remind myself these creatures were not 10 year old children. They were also not shy as I thought they would be. A few even tried to eat my dress and steal my bag.

On the way home…I had to make two bus transfers…Uthai is not easy to get to…but im used to that. I met Kae on my first bus, as he was headed to Chainat (a province about 50 kilos from mine). He worked in Bangkok and his English was excellent. He helped me figure out my bus transfer…and as I waited for the bus to leave, he got back on and asked if he could give me a ride back to school. His children dont meet many foreigners and they had never been to Uthai Thani before so they were thrilled when I accepted his gracious offer. His in-laws and two children picked us up…on our drive home we stopped by their favorite juice stalls to get the kids a treat and we toured the country side. Once in Uthai, we walked up to the local temple (456 steps). I played games with the kids and talked to Kae about everything…culture, politics, thai fruit. After walking around the local festival, they continued to drive me the entire way back to school…interested in seeing where I lived and the campus. I fell in love with his children and was invited to their home for dinner and to meet his wife next week. The hospitality here is incredible and this is just one of many stories where I have been so welcome.

*Ive posted pictures of Kae and his children June (12) and Jaem (7). They were all smiles…



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *