BootsnAll Travel Network



A few last words…

I know it’s been a few weeks since my last post. For this Im sorry. I will update you on the last few weeks of Thailand…as I leave Kanchana in 11 hours.

The beach- I just finished reading “the beach”, slightly different then the movie, but all the same brought me back to the islands I spent the last week on. Many stories…that would not be given justice in a blog. I’m sure there will be story time after I return to the states. It was basically bliss…utopia…perfection under the sun and in the water for 7 days. Our plan was to explore a bit…spend a day or two here and there..see a few different places, but in the end we kept extending our stay on Koh Phi Phi. Each day…our thoughts were “alright…just one more night.” One more night turned into two, then three…we found ourselves never wanting to leave. I figure…why leave somewhere that is…well…sanuk, soi. It would of course not have been the same without the people. The people you meet on the way are who make the stories and the memories alive. They each intrigued me in different ways…and hopefully in the end brought something into my life I’ll be able to give to others. Sounds so sappy I know…but the truth is sometimes clichéd and sappy. And we all know that I am always sappy. Especially at times like these. I keep in my mind an email my mother sent…knowing I would receive it back at school…a few words that have stuck with me since and ive passed on to a few traveling friends, “don’t cry because it’s over. smile because it happened.”

A few more days spent back at school. Parties, presents, goodbyes, tears. With their tears and attempts at goodbyes…this was more then I may have spoken to many of the teachers the entire term. But it was more then enough. We had a farewell party and farewell dinner and farewell lunch…and it doesn’t seem to be ending. As the director said a few words…quite a few…I smiled and nodded like I always do…laughed with everyone on cue. Then I looked across the table as my friend Pla motioned for me to wai and thank him. I did so post haste and everyone complemented me on my timing. I gave a speech and was asked to write it down to be translated later. As I walk around campus today saying my last goodbyes…teachers are literally taking things off their backs and giving them to me as gestures of thanks. I learned the proper way to give them back without being impolite. I also went through my bags and passed out clothes and jewelry I would not miss and they would greatly appreciate. I needed to lighten by bags up a little anyway.

A few things Ill miss…not in any order…

Daolien (meaning starflower)- gave me my monthly massage in Uthai Thani Hospital. Monthly turned into weekly. Daolien was my age and knew my muscles better then I did. She kneaded and gnawed and although her massages were sometimes painful…in the end it was jello-y bliss.

Thai markets- beautiful, colorful, creative and surprising…the markets brought spice into my sometimes dull weeks. They were filled with everything from gutted frogs to fried rats on a stick, from grilled bananas and bamboo sticky rice (a favorite) to buckets of live eels and squid. There was nothing you couldn’t find at a Thai market and the best part was I managed to pay for my weeks supply of food in less then 200 baht (7 American dollars). I also got quite good at bargaining in Thai…a skill that wont take me much farther…but one that I may have perfected. I think by the end I was receiving Thai discounts over the outrageous farang prices. The farmers that knew me…also new I earned Thai salary and that my whiteness did not mean richness.

“Hello Teacha…Good morning Teacha” – Although the students were naughtier then expected..and by the end, most did not even come to class. ..I will still miss their constant attempts at English greetings, their giggles when they say, “good morning” rather then “good afternoon”., their blank stares when asked a question, but more their brilliant smiles when they visit my room in the afternoon. Sometimes we would chat, sometimes play games, draw pictures…look through my pictures, skype from back home, teach me Thai…it was more fun to just hang out then actually teach. Go figure.

Soi- beautiful- heard constantly throughout my day. From teachers, from students, from parents, farmers, mothers…Overwhelmed at times by the constant attention…a girl can never hear she’s beautiful too many times. D- you’ll have to keep up with this oneJ

My infamous water supply and living arrangements…ok so these things might not be missed…just remembered. It was always a question as to whether I had running water or not. By the last week- I had it only twice because there was a draught. I took many showers with buckets and only a few hot ones when on vacation. During the one “cold”er month…there were days I didn’t even want to wake up because I didn’t want to take a cold shower. Yes- pity me. My apartment was also infested with pigeons…everywhere….except for directly IN my house. They were everywhere else..building nests and being gross. If you know me…you know there are few things on my hate list and one of them is pigeons. They are like walking hepatitis. I still did not have the heart to break their eggs though (the Thai teachers got mad at me for this) and they multiplied each week.

There is more to add to this list…but atm I do not want to think. Or “reflect” as you bloggers might say.

TBC…



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *