BootsnAll Travel Network



Still in Christchurch

I forgot to mention in the last post that I have a terrible cold and I almost went to the doctor for it. (Jim wouldn’t let me) I think it was also because I met a girl who knew a backpacker guy whose friend DIED from some rare tonsilitis. The guy just thought it was a sore throat and kept going to the chemist who gave him throat sprays, and finally after a week he went to the real doctor and they admitted him immediately and he died!!!! Holy crap!

My throat was sore, but it felt like it was sore UP my throat instead of DOWN my throat. And when we were on the plane, my left ear wouldn’t pop and it felt really strange and hurt on the way down. Now it’s felt a little weird since then. I sneeze a lot and am a snot factory. I hate it. I’ve never had a problem with my ear before. I went through a whole roll of toilet paper blowing my nose.

I bought some cough drops called “Throaties.” We joked with our friends in Brisbane about how Aussies call everything by what it is… for example, pink champagne is called “Pink.” Western Australia is called “Western Australia,” the northern part is “Northern Territory” and what about the south? Oh, that’s “South Australia.” A lot of things are named like that.

So the “Throaties” were funny to us. Jim stole one even though he isn’t sick just because he was bored.

Anyway, I know we are in New Zealand but the naming thing seems to carry on over here. I’m also noticed that there are tons of pubs and shops that go by the “adjective-animal/food” naming scheme. Like the “Loaded Hog” and the “Grumpy Mole” and the “Funky Pumpkin.” Those are all places in Christchurch.

So anyway we’re still buying clothes and I don’t even want to think about how much it’s cost. Jim and I got hiking boots, socks, and gloves. I got a rain coat and hat. He got a head warmer, thermal shirt and pants. I also got sweatpants. It’s depressing, but there’s isn’t any way to avoid it.

Christchurch is a very nice and pretty town. There is a big cathedral and it’s pretty. I realized I haven’t said much about it.

Anyway. We need to figure out how we are going to travel. I want to get moving since even though this is a nice place, we have tons to see in NZ and we don’t need to hang out in a city.

Well, I guess there isn’t much to say!

(P.S. I forgot to tell you, I got an email a few days ago telling me that I won a 7-14 day hiking trip! I went to a Travel Expo in NYC right before we started traveling and that was where I won it! Isn’t that awesome?? The company is called TrekAmerica and we can go anywhere in the US! Woohoo!)



Tags:

2 responses to “Still in Christchurch”

  1. Carl says:

    Aah, congratulations on winning that TrekAmerica trip!! That’s cool! And I definitely think you need to get out on a trip – you never go anywhere usually! *Oh wait… Oops, I forgot :-)* Anyway, have a great time hiking, whenever you’ll go on that trip!

  2. kelly says:

    Hi Carl!!! Thanks!! It does seem kind of weird to win a trip while ON a trip… heh heh!! 🙂