BootsnAll Travel Network



Left to my Own Devices

I thought it would be fun when Jim went on his diving trip today trip because I had a great time by myself when I came to Sydney before him, so I should have a great time again.

But Cairns is NOT Sydney.

Cairns is just another town that exists mainly to be a tourist cesspool.

I can’t stress how totally awesome Sydney was, and both Jim and I thought, it retrospect, that we could have just spent most the time there instead of other places. Since our time was limited, we only really stuck to the usual east-coast tourist trail, and that means tourist spot after boring tourist spot, which, again, in retrospect, is a little sad.

But if you don’t go to a tourist area in Oz, you are in the middle of nowhere, it seems.

Anyway, today I was going to walk around, explore, maybe a shop a little, find out about tours, use the internet, get a few more groceries, etc.

But when I wander alone, trying to waste hours, I realize what a dork I am, because I walk so fast and just look so awkward! It didn’t help that I wore my super touristy travel shorts today that have 100 pockets and a nerdy shirt with sports sandals.

Every other backpacker girl wears some cute tanktop with flipflops and her hair is streaked blond and she had a skirt or shorts on that sit way too far down on the hips. (These really ugly skirts are the rage here… kind of tight around the hips and then they flare into a pleated mess…ugh!) She has two other girls with her, and they are usually eating something bready and pulling it apart with their fingers as they stroll down the road.

I’m not so laid back like everyone else. I feel like such a nerd and I realize this is something that will be with me my whole life. I’m the person you see eating sloppily alone at a restaurant that you look at and for a fleeting second you think, “dork.”

Today I ate alone at the hostel cafe. I had a tuna, tabbouli and hummus wrap. Yesterday Jim and I shared ham quesadillas and a tandoori chicken sandwich with mint and mango chutney. They were cheap and awesome!

And guess what, I eat tomatoes now. My parents will NOT believe that.

But I digress.

It makes me realize that when I am with Jim or even ANY other person, I don’t seem so lost and awkward because I don’t have to walk so fast and be so destination-oriented. We are walking together and we can talk and I have something to do other than look like a chick who is by herself. I try to act normal when I am alone, but I am always focused on getting where I am going. I’ve always walked so fast, even in high school.

“Enjoy the journey,” right? But if there is nothing to enjoy on the way….?

Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t walk around all day feeling paranoid and nerdy. I’m used to being like this, so it doesn’t really bother me, since I don’t care if people think I’m a weirdo. Whatever.

What’s the point of this post? Not sure!



Tags: ,

5 responses to “Left to my Own Devices”

  1. Dad says:

    Hey, don’t worry about the nerdy thing…. I kind of grew comfortable with it and you will too. You do have to work on the part of thinking that everyone is looking at you…. most people do not give a damn about what you wear or do. After a while you will be like me…. dress sloppily, and not care who sees it. Just walk around like no one is checking you out…. more than likely they are not checking you out.

    When I travel, I also think differently…. I do not attempt to look like them or to be cool…. I want them to know I am a tourist and would never be there otherwise….

    Great story about the lens cap and the rest of the animal rights’ stuff. Even though they are animals, they should be treated right, right? It doesn’t mean that they have the right to vote and some of the other stuff you hear. Just remember, for the most part, the animals live very well… although someone should see that they don’t get stuffed too much.

    I can’t wait to watch you eat a tomato…. one of my favorites.

    later,

    Love, DAD

  2. kelly says:

    Hi Dad, hey, thanks for making me a nerd. Ha ha. Just kidding. No, I am used to it, and 95% of the time it doesn’t bother me and I wear my hat and sunglasses together and don’t care how stupid I look. I also mix my plaids.

    Yeah, it’s kind of sad with the animals. I never felt that way before, but it IS sad to see them in a cage. Especially the bird because they are in such small cages sometimes, like the owl.

    Tomatoes! Yay!

  3. Dad says:

    I can’t wait to sit down and eat a freshly sliced tomato with you. I didn’t eat green beans for 25 years, now I love them. Mom is making all these (Thai, I suspect) weird, colorful dishes for me to sit down to. I have tried some, and several were good…. but I do not like kiwi and mango!

    Just finished, with Deb’s husband Don, chainsawing down a big part of the large tree by the road. Big wind blew it down and we chopped it up this morning. No more climbing for you on that big limb…..

    Hey, Carl, I see you read this from time to time….. do you ever play golf now that you have played in Bay City? I have told a lot of people that you had to take lessons and get a license to play, and they are fascinated.

    Back to Kelly.
    I can still see you running away from flies, bugs, not sitting on the grass for fear of bugs, etc. Now you are running with the rays and dingoes…. WOW!

    About the animals….. when they are pampered, they love it for the most part and do not think too much about getting away….. like wolves, bears, and African animals coming up to cars for good, etc. However, it has to hurt their instinct somewhat and confuse them. I think about that with the geese that populate our golf course… the are fed by so many that they are fat. Some of them can hardly take off they are so big. So, don’t worry too much about the animals being exploited…. if one wants to quit, there is a big flock or herd waiting in line to take his or her place. hmmmmm, where do I sign up to become an animal hugger? I’ve come a long way since I shot everything that moved on the farm years ago as a kid.

    Hey, good luck in New Zealand, say hello to everyone there for me.

    ….how come you never answer your cellphone?

    love,

    Dad

  4. kelly says:

    hi dad, are you serious about the cellphone???

    That is great that you are trying new foods.. it really is fun… today we ate at a place called Khmer Noodle House or something. Cambodian! It was similar to Thai anyway and was delicious! It is fun to try!

  5. Carl says:

    Hi there, Daddy O! 🙂

    I hope all is well over there in Michigan? I hear The Red Wings are doing all right, so that’s a good thing, right!? 🙂

    *myself, I’d like for the NHL season to be over, both because it’s almost freakin’ summer outside and the hockey season should be over, one would think – and also because they’re finishing off the season with a World Cup now, but it’s not really a “World Cup” unless the best players are there, and a lot of them are still playing in the Stanley Cup…!*

    Anyway, no, unfortunately I’m not playing any golf. It’s just, as you said, a big undertaking to start to play golf here in Sweden, because first you have to practice some on a driving range and then you need to sign up for both a written test *I think* and a golf test, to see that you can swing and hit the ball at least somewhat straight…
    Then, after you’ve done this – getting to actually PLAY golf can be difficult… I think you might have to go with someone else, who’s a member at a club… For you yourself to become a member it would take many, many years, because most clubs’ waiting lists are LOOONG.

    *too much hassle*

    All right, I’m off. Take care, everybody!