BootsnAll Travel Network



Krabi .. what did I expect for a $5 room?

We took the night train to Bangkok last night and arrived at the airport around 5 AM, not looking forward to spending half a day in nasty Bangkok before our flight to Krabi at 5pm. Thank heaven, we got on an earlier flight and didn’t have to spend any time there. Of course the left luggage desk still charged us for leaving our luggage there all of 5 minutes.

Took the flight to Krabi, and wishing we went to Ao Nang instead. Krabi seems like a cruddy little town, just a jump-off point for trips to islands and other places. There aren’t really beaches here. We got a room for 200 baht a night with a fan instead of A/C. We thought it would be ok. We were wrong. It doesn’t help that the only window has a great view of a wall about 6 inches away = no breeze. It’s like an oven. I just pray it cools off tonight.

I went to take a shower and stood in there 5 minutes waiting for hot water, went and got Jim to ask the hotel people how to get hot water, and surprise, there IS not hot water. So I took an ice cold shower. It was not pleasant.

At least the room is clean. What can I expect for $5 a night.

So we are trying to figure out what we want to do now. There are so many islands and so many activities. Ok, gotta go, later gators.



Tags:

4 responses to “Krabi .. what did I expect for a $5 room?”

  1. Carl says:

    Wouldn’t you want a cold shower if the room is “like an oven?” 🙂

  2. Don says:

    K.O., sounds to me like the most fun you’ve had to this point has been experienced in the cooking classes. Hope you run into some nice beaches and are able to roast your buns in the sun. Am heading to Mexico for two weeks on the 28th, and will do my share of bun-sunning. Will meet up with some Canadian folks we met last year while at Punta de Mita, then head to old town Puerta Vallerta for the second week.
    You really have been experiencing the real world. It reminds me of my first couple of years working in the foundry… a really different world, but not all that exciting… well, maybe exciting, but not appealing.
    When it comes down to it, everybody out there is scramblling for your buck. The less people have, the more they need your buck. That’s what makes a place like China a good place to visit, not a lot of money, but no scrambling for your dollar. You’ve been there, and probably know what I am talking about.

  3. kelly says:

    Carl, I had a feeling someone might say that. Even if you have a hot room, the second freezing cold water hits you, you aren’t hot anymore. 🙂

    Hi Don, Mexico sounds like a lot of fun.. have a good time! Yeah, we are down here finally seeing some beaches and it is MUCH better!!

  4. Erin says:

    Hey Kelly,
    I just read postings from about the last 10 days or so because I haven’t been to your page in a while. Sounds like you are having such an amazing time -even if you have to take cold showers and eat food that gives you “Bangkok belly!!” I was quite sad to read about how the poor elephants were treated. But, I was excited to hear about the cooking class you took! I love to cook, so when you get back you are going to have to teach me to cook some Thai food with “Thai ginger.” I’m so excited for you and for all of the experiences you are having (both good and bad). I am also very glad that you are documenting everything because I love hearing about it- even the funny details about Jim wearing an apron and a chef’s hat!! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *