BootsnAll Travel Network



Jim’s New Girlfriend: Dahab

Our first and only night in Dahab we went to bed in our hotel, the Ali Baba. I was lying half-asleep in my bed the next morning when I heard the camera snapping photos and saw the flash.

I looked at Jim and asked, “Why are you taking pictures of your bed?”

“It’s comfortable” he says.

“No it’s not… what are you doing?”

“Just taking pictures of the room” he says.

Then I see him patting his bedspread with his hand. “It’s just a bug,” he says.

And in that very second, I was up, standing on the edge of my bed. I asked for more details about this “bug” and he said, “You don’t want to know.”

I knew he was right, and by the way he was acting I could tell it was a doozy. We went out and had breakfast and made another call to Royal Jordanian, and amazingly, were able to cancel the Cairo-Amman leg of our flight home, allowing us to fly Amman-NYC. This was fantastic news and meant we didn’t need to double back to Cairo. We now planned to get a taxi to Nuweiba, catch the 1 hour fast ferry to Aqaba, Jordan, then get another cab to Petra, 2 hours away. It would be a long travel day but sometimes that’s what you gotta do. What we didn’t know was that it would turn out to be one of the worst travel days of all time. We also used that time to book our hotel in Petra, Jordan, the Petra Palace.

We went back to the hotel, picked up our stuff, and I finally got the camera to look at the picture of the “bug”. It made my skin crawl. It was the biggest cockroach type thing I’ve ever seen, with antennae that must have been 3 inches long. We showed it to everyone we saw the next day and they cringed.

giant bug

giant bug in bed
In the bed

From Jim’s P.O.V.: He got up to use the bathroom, and came back to his bed and saw it laying there. We don’t know if he was cuddling with Jim the whole night if he’d just crawled in. All I know is that if it happened to me, I would have torn the roof off that place.

I didn’t say anything yet about Dahab. We didn’t really have time to do a lot except walk around. It reminded us both a bit of Ko Tao, Thailand.. a pretty chill, laid back place with loads of restaurants on the water. It was cute.

Next post… travel to Jordan.



Tags: ,

4 responses to “Jim’s New Girlfriend: Dahab”

  1. Claire says:

    Kelly, you just got to know that this bug was not an orphan. For sure he was just one of many. Now doesn’t that make you feel good.

  2. Patti says:

    Kelly,
    remember you just don’t marry the man it is his whole family!!! and their pets.

  3. […] #1 worst experience with insects was in Dahab, Egypt [shudder]. Read about it here. Tags: bugs, insects, mexico, Mexico 2013 « San Diego, CA to Austin, TX | Home […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *