BootsnAll Travel Network



Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.

While in Cusco, Peru, Jim and I had a couple hours to kill before we were to catch a flight to Lima.  We decided just to wander around town.

We were walking in a non-touristy market-y area on a beautiful Saturday morning.  There were lots of people out on the street as you can see in the photo below.

View of Cusco street

I just want to note, than when Jim and I are traveling, the person who is NOT wearing the backpack (is this case I am referring to a small daybag, not a giant backpack) is in charge of keeping an eye on the backpack being worn by the other person.  We are very vigilant about this.  In fact, literally two minutes before the incident happened, we were standing on a bridge and Jim was taking some photos.  I put my arm around his back, over the backpack, while it was exposed to passersby.  This is just an example of how careful we usually are around protecting the bag.  Even when we are walking around, I will stay ever-so-slightly behind Jim just so I can always keep an eye on the bag.

cusco_street1.jpg
The photo Jim took from the bridge a minute before being robbed

Back to the story.  Suddenly, the sidewalk got extremely crowded to the point where all of us were pushed up against each other.  Jim got separated from me and was about one or two people in front of me.  At that moment I realized this was not a good situation and that I better keep a closer eye on him and his bag.

Then I saw that a bird crapped all over the back and side of Jim’s neck.  I saw him sort of turn his head when he realized it happened, but he didn’t really react.  I remembered thinking, “That sucks, we will have to go get him cleaned up.”

As I was staring at the bird crap I realized that it did not look like bird crap.  It looked like spit.

Then, in the next two seconds, a few things happened.  I realized immediately that someone spit on Jim and that it was part of a scam and my brain went into defense mode.  As a backpacker, you have either read or heard about the scam where someone either spits on you, squirts mustard or hand lotion or crap on you, then comes over and helps you clean it off, all while robbing you.  I immediately looked at his backpack and sure enough I saw that the small outer pocket was UNzipped.  I starting yelling to him, “Jim! Your bag! Your bag is open!”  Remember we were in an extremely crowded area.

In that same second, I looked around to see if I could see someone actually robbing him.  There was a small older lady next to me, maybe about four and a half feet tall, and I must have seen her hand on his bag or something – I can’t remember what I saw now – but I knew it was her.  I grabbed her.  I grabbed her arm so she couldn’t get away.  I don’t even remember what I said to her, but likely she didn’t understand since I don’t speak Spanish.  I am still surprised at myself that I actually grabbed her like I did.

Immediately she reached into her pockets to show me she didn’t have anything.  I thought this gave away her guilt that she even knew to show me her pockets’ contents. 

By this time, Jim was next to me and he even patted the pockets on the front of the lady’s sweater and there was nothing there.

I asked him what was in that front pocket of his bag (I had thought it was empty anyway, other than some change).  He said, his iPhone! I couldn’t believe he had his phone in there!

So I couldn’t stand there holding on to the lady any longer, and I was starting to wonder if maybe she WAS innocent, so I let her go, and she calmly started to walk away.

At that moment, two police officers showed up out of nowhere.  I pointed at the lady walking away and exclaimed “She robbed us!”  It felt like a scene from a movie.  Jim was exclaiming the same thing to them but in Spanish (which I’m sure was more helpful than my English).

The male officer saw us clearly pointing at the lady, who was only about 6 feet away, and he just stood there.  He didn’t make any moves to go talk to her or anything.  He just let her go.  We couldn’t believe it.  He just stood there!

Then, I saw a woman standing at the side of the bridge point to the ground.  I went over to where she was pointing and there was a little pink plastic bag on the ground literally an inch from falling off the side of the bridge.  I looked closer and saw the iPhone was inside the bag.

Jim said the woman who was pointing to the bag said that the thief woman dropped it there.

I couldn’t believe we recovered the phone.  My heard was beating fast.

I know what you are thinking: “I would never be dumb enough to let that happen to me!”  Jim and I are usually extremely, extremely vigilant when we go out – almost to the point of paranoia.  All it took was just one moment of laziness.

You are probably also wondering: Why on earth would you put something expensive like an iPhone in an easily accessible front pocket of a backpack?  This was my question for Jim!  He said when we was packing that morning, he was thinking about packing for our long flight home, not thinking about walking around on the street.  If he was thinking about being on the street, he never would have put anything in that pocket.

You may also be thinking: How did you not know to put your backpack on your front side when in a crowded space?  This is another bit of laziness on our part.  It was also my bad for not being sure to stay directly behind him so I could keep my eye on the bag.  He said he also thought I was right behind him, watching the bag, so he didn’t think he needed to switch the bag to the front.

After we found the phone, I wiped the giant mound of spit off Jim’s neck.  It was so gross.  I was actually thankful that he got spit on, though.  If she would have just stolen the phone, we never would have known until it was too late.  But the spit called my attention to the situation.



Tags: , ,

3,343 responses to “Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.”

  1. XSCM says:

    Hi there it’s me, I am also visiting this web page on a regular
    basis, this web site is genuinely good and the users are genuinely sharing pleasant thoughts.

  2. codigodeltrabajo.com

    blog topic

  3. Nexea says:

    Nexea

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  4. Very nice post. I certainly love this site. Stick with it!

  5. KQXSHN says:

    Some times its a pain in the ass to read what blog owners wrote but this internet site is rattling
    user pleasant!

  6. Tammie says:

    Hi, i think that i saw you visited my web site so i
    came to ?return the favor?.I’m attempting to find things to
    enhance my site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

  7. tinycat99 says:

    I’ve been browsing online more than three hours today, yet I never
    found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty
    worth enough for me. Personally, if all webmasters and
    bloggers made good content as you did, the
    net will be a lot more useful than ever before.

  8. Product 1 says:

    Does anybod here on bootsnall.com wants t᧐ tᥙrn іnto ɑ
    Hemp and CBD reviewer ᴡith us and review CBD infused products like CBD Prtein Bars Drop me a
    line if you woupd like too ցеt involved

    Feel free to surf to my bllg … Product 1

  9. Randell says:

    I have been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I
    never found any interesting article like yours. It is
    pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all
    website owners and bloggers made good content as you did,
    the web will be a lot more useful than ever before.

  10. Wow, this piece of writing is fastidious, my sister is analyzing
    these kinds of things, thus I am going to convey her.

  11. leadership lessons

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  12. Know everything about Delta Airlines Reservations like, selecting your seats, changing your flight dates, check-in procedure, upgrading tickets to a higher class of service, and much more. Delta Airlines offers four classes of administration – Economy, Comfort Plus, First/Business Class, and Delta One

  13. Hello to every body, it’s my first visit of this web site; this blog consists
    of remarkable and truly fine information in favor of visitors.

    Feel free to surf to my site :: 구글상위노출

  14. 浜松町体験メンズエステ

    blog topic

  15. My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find the majority of your post’s to be
    exactly what I’m looking for. can you offer guest writers to write content in your
    case? I wouldn’t mind publishing a post or elaborating on most
    of the subjects you write about here. Again, awesome site!

    my web site: 먹튀검증업체

  16. Adored the pictures, i really like the among this image, perfecto. https://www.instapaper.com/p/goldratetoday

  17. Someone necessarily help to make significantly articles I might state.
    This is the first time I frequented your web page and to this point?
    I surprised with the research you made to create this particular post extraordinary.
    Wonderful activity!

    Visit my webpage 먹튀검증사이트

  18. cncritech says:

    Nice post. I used to be checking continuously
    this blog and I’m inspired! Extremely useful information particularly the
    final section 🙂 I care for such information much.
    I used to be seeking this certain information for a long time.

    Thank you and good luck.

  19. What type of camera is that? That is definitely a great superior quality. http://cemaf.edu.py/miembros/goldnewprice24/

  20. Scoob yahoo says:

    Does your website have a contact page? I’m having a tough time locating it but,
    I’d like to send you an e-mail. I’ve got some suggestions for your blog you might
    be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and
    I look forward to seeing it expand over time. https://scoobfullmovie.net/

  21. Amazing blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring
    writers? I’m hoping to start my own website
    soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you recommend starting with a free platform like WordPress or
    go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally overwhelmed ..
    Any recommendations? Thanks a lot!

  22. 바카라 says:

    Hi it’s me, I am also visiting this web site on a
    regular basis, this web page is truly fastidious and the people are actually sharing nice thoughts.%anchor_test%

  23. new sex toys says:

    Happy new month, sweety. This month shall take you to a greater height, make a beautiful land of gold for your sake. You shall be treated like an Excellency.

  24. Happy new month, sweety. Our love shall hold on tight as never before. Our soul shall sync happiness, joy and peace together.

  25. Wow, this piece of writing is fastidious, my sister is analyzing such things, so I am
    going to let know her.

  26. 바카라 says:

    I got this site from my friend who shared with me regarding
    this web page and at the moment this time I am visiting this website and reading very informative
    articles or reviews here.바카라

  27. Hello are using WordPress for your site platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create
    my own. Do you require any html coding expertise to make your own blog?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

  28. Please let me know if you’re looking for a article author for your weblog.

    You have some really great articles and I feel I would be a good asset.
    If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some content for your
    blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please shoot me an e-mail if interested.
    Thanks!

  29. 카지노 says:

    Excellent blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own site soon but I’m a little
    lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are
    so many choices out there that I’m completely confused ..
    Any suggestions? Kudos!카지노

  30. true leaders says:

    true leaders

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  31. 카지노 says:

    Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much.
    I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.카지노

  32. 카지노 says:

    I every time used to study piece of writing in news papers but now as I am a user of net therefore from now I
    am using net for articles, thanks to web.카지노

  33. obagi my pham

    blog topic

  34. mercadaocantu.com.br

    blog topic

  35. It’s truly very complex in this full of activity life to listen news on TV, thus
    I only use web for that purpose, and obtain the most up-to-date information.

  36. 카지노 says:

    Great work! This is the kind of information that should be
    shared across the internet. Shame on Google for no longer positioning this
    publish higher! Come on over and visit my web site . Thank you =)카지노

  37. 카지노 says:

    I like the helpful info you provide in your articles.
    I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly.

    I am quite certain I will learn a lot of
    new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!카지노

  38. Toronto airport taxi

    blog topic

  39. 카지노 says:

    I’m not sure why but this web site is loading extremely slow for me.
    Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end?
    I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still
    exists.카지노

  40. This is a beautiful picture with very good light-weight -) http://www.supportduweb.com/profile-111931.html

  41. So Though individuals can’t afford the defensive mechanism
    of decentralization that makes these coins. Blockchainwhat is
    a blockchain venture that will assist folks in the Bitcoin price
    volatility. Every part you presumably from Bitcoin over
    3,916 transfers and despatched more than a hundred and ten employees.
    Ripple forex marge more system. Traditional currencies system the
    Libra Association stated on Tuesday that it is beginner pleasant.

    Prospects are not having to buy it for different
    currencies like say purchase bitcoins. Now if Bob can now
    purchase present bitcoins from the perfect ASIC Bitcoin miner.

    Web shopper that is an indication that bigger financial players at the moment
    are in search of. Portals are providing best out there.
    Bitcoin promoting as a bodily presence in distinction to Bitcoin which for the best of one of the
    best. Typically hacks happen between success their
    cash as they try to construct a Bitcoin. A mixture digital money.
    The ongoing story brief these are simply getting began with producing
    money as their prime bet. On prime of that being said most ASIC miners require
    220 ranges soon.

  42. Ridiculous quest there. What happened after? Take
    care!

  43. 카지노 says:

    Hi colleagues, its impressive piece of writing about educationand
    completely explained, keep it up all the time.카지노

  44. 롤 듀오 says:

    롤 듀오

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  45. Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I to find It really useful
    & it helped me out a lot. I hope to offer something
    back and help others like you helped me.

  46. You really make it appear really easy together with your presentation but I to
    find this matter to be actually one thing that I think I might
    never understand. It seems too complicated and very huge for me.
    I am having a look ahead in your next put up, I’ll attempt to get
    the grasp of it!

  47. Hi my loved one! I wish to say that this post is amazing,
    great written and include approximately all significant infos.
    I’d like to look more posts like this . https://www.google.com.ph/url?q=https://seomasterpress.com

  48. otzyvoff.ru says:

    Save 50 percent or tougher so that you can make knowledgeable decisions and generally offer you.
    They provide very first response which offer readings in all the people in it.
    Android customers also can try out your first time do not be nervous
    your studying. Therefore each studying is de facto.
    It’s which means was clear possibly carpe diem or dwell
    to remorse tarot reading. Good free tarot deck to be used from practitioners on each universal laws and the Sylvia Browne.

    The unbelievable reputation of tarot has normally been associated with fortune telling however it’s your money.
    Spreading my skills my ardour and faithfulness the harmony uniting of
    their cash. For the end result of a psychic reader info to their guests to seize money from you to.
    An accurate and helpful accurate info is handed to the sufferer they’re actual.

    But apparently they inform you you are then given the selection as to.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *