BootsnAll Travel Network



Escape from T-Land

To get out of Thailand, I flew to Bangkok from Phuket, stayed in Bangkok for a night, then the next steps were to fly to Singapore then Sydney.

THAT SOUNDS SO EASY.

If you haven’t traveled independently before, and you only took tours and stuff like that, you have no idea how much work it is. Backpacking is a ton of WORK.

Let’s examine.

“Flew to Bangkok from Phuket”

This was not a flight included in my flight package. I found an internet cafe and went on the net and looked for fares the night before but couldn’t book them online because it was short notice. So I decided to just show up at the airport, crazy as that sounds. I’ve never bought a ticket AT the airport before.

But I wasn’t IN Phuket. So I paid a ridiculous 800 baht for a ride there. Ugh.

Once there, I found the AirAsia office and they said their flights were full. I don’t have to tell you this was a pretty nervous situation–what if all flights were full or too expensive? I went to Phuket Air and the price was a little high, then THAI Airlines and amazingly, the flight was only 1,700 baht, less than I expected to pay (that’s about $42 maybe).

So I bought the ticket, ate at Burger King, and read my book about prostitution in Asia (which was weird, since there was a farang sitting right across from me with his Thai “girlfriend”….uncomfortable…)

So, I got on the flight.

“Stayed in Bangkok for a night”

Once off the plane, you gotta find a way to GET places. There were several options but I chose the airport bus, which is cheaper than a taxi. I asked around, found it, and got on, and got off at my stop.

My “stop” being some random place in the heart of Bangkok, teeming with people.

Then I had no clue which way to go for my hotel, and wandered around a bit, with a huge backpack and a small pack on front, too. Sweating profusely, of course. Looking back, it was crazy. Finally I told a tuk-tuk driver and he took me and I still had to wander around a while since the roads were confusing. I finally found the road and all the hotels were full and one stunk like everything stinks in Thailand and I refused to put up with that anymore.

Finally I found a decent place. I showered, relaxed, and got lost in the non-stop array of shopping malls near Siam Center and bought more underwear that is too small. (I threw out the last pair.. remember, the ones with the ants) I got a size large and it is still a little too small. Way to make me feel like a cow, people of Thailand.

bangkokcity.JPG
Near Siam Center. Very modern city-like.

The main reason I wanted to even spend any time in Bangkok was because there was one really cute shirt that I wanted and couldn’t find anywhere else, and I wanted to shop a little (we need a new backpack for me).. and well, the main reason is that I wanted one more massage. I’ve only had 2, and when will I get another massage at all, let alone one that costs $5 for an hour?

The next morning I ate my new favorite dish, simply steamed rice with veggies (my mom won’t believe that) in a cruddy little restaurant, the type we are used to now. Hah, when we first got to Thailand I never would have eaten there. It was good, aside from the tiny pebble I found in it. Yes, a pebble as in “rock.”

To get the massage, I wanted to go back to Khoa San road, and I found a tuk-tuk who took me there for too much money. I didn’t feel like bargaining too much. I sure as hell didn’t pay the 400 baht he first offered, Hah! Do I look like I got here yesterday? Anyway.

So I got to Khoa San and first of all, set up a ride to the airport in a few hours with a travel agency for 80 baht. Then I went looking for a massage, and I swear, the road looks so different than I remember. And I couldn’t find a massage place!?! They are everywhere and I couldn’t find one! I found and bought the shirt I wanted, and FINALLY found a tiny massage place and a very pretty girl did my massage (made me think about the prostitution book I am reading and the only other customers were local men, which worried me, then I saw there was no way for the massage tables to be private, I mean, no curtain or wall or anything, so I knew it was ok.)

Anyhoo, she did very good. I should explain Thai massage more because it is different than massages I’ve gotten at home. They use their whole body. For example you are lying on your back with one leg straight in the air and one bent wit hthe foot on the straight knee. She then pushes her knee into the back of your thigh and leans hard on your with her hand on your straight foot. It is weird but good. The hour was only 140 baht, like $3-4!!

After that I was sad that I was out of time, so I went and got in the hot sweaty van and went to the airport and did all that good stuff and got on the flight.

Right now, I am standing at a free internet kiosk in Singapore Airport, which is the BEST airport in the world. Oh man. I realized I was in Singapore when I walked into the bathroom and it was CLEAN and smelled GOOD. Weird! And I keep almost saying “kahp khun kah” to people (Thai ‘thank you’).

I took a shower when I got here for $6 US. It was AWESOME. I will have to tell you later. Here is a picture I took a picture of the stall. What a great place. And I got a free drink.

SINGSHOW.jpg

Well, I think I need to go board now! Yucky 7 hour and 45 minutes flight ahead with no fun Jim.

Next time I see you I’ll be in Oz!



Tags:

Comments are closed.