BootsnAll Travel Network



Clearest water ever!

On the 1 hour slow ferry over, I slept the whole time.

When we arrived, it was beautiful, like Rarotonga with the lush mountains. Again we wandered around looking for an info desk, and still, NOTHING. There were places where you could get rental cars and tickets on the ferry, but that was it. Finally, in frustration, I said let’s walk to the airport because there is supposed to be an info desk.

tahiti2.jpg

We walked down the street and Jim was thinking I was crazy because the airport was a distance away. Finally we knew we were nuts so we hitched a ride and a very nice hippie-ish lady picked us up. Isn’t it great to be in safe countries where you can hitch and not worry?

So we got to the tiny little airport and it still wasn’t much help. So we just asked, where is the best beach? And they said it was at the Sofitel resort. So we walked there (thankfully it wasn’t far) and asked about a day pass.

So we spent our whole time at the resort. Unfortunately they only had one snorkel so we couldn’t go together. That sucked.

The water was even MORE crystal clear than anywhere. The beach was beautiful but made of tiny pieces of coral so it was not easy to walk on. (I learn to appreciate Thailand’s beaches more and more!) When we snorkeled, not even far from the shore (I was still standing up) we saw clown fish, Moorish idols, and even Triggerfish, which we call the “*sshole of the sea.” Triggerfish are uuuugly and aggressive. We called them that because Jim said one time one of the triggerfish was sort of chasing him around when he was snorkeling, and the fish’s little warning thing on his head was up. Jim said they are very territorial and have teeth. So after that, whenever I saw one I started to freak out because I thought he would chase me.

moorea2.jpg

Anyway. We walked by the huts that are on stilts in the water. the kind that all the honeymooners stay in. They are GORGEOUS and you can see the fish swimming below. We saw people come out of the hut and just jump right into the water below. And in the mornings, people bring your breakfast to you on a canoe. Wow! And here was us, poor backpackers, who are only here because Tahiti was on the way back from New Zealand and our ticket allowed us to stop. Nice!

waterhouse.jpg
Honeymoon Suites

After snorkeling we laid in the shade on the beach and snoozed for a little while.

We ate lunch at the resort and I got the salad bar and dessert bar. I ate SO MANY desserts it was disgusting. They were all like Frenchy type tarts. I kept getting more and more and I would sneak pieces of them onto Jim’s plate and he numbered them and told me to get more of “#1 and #3.” The waitress spoke no English and Jim wanted to know what kind of meat his dish had. So I said, “poulet ou boeuf?” And she said Boeuf!! I felt cool. Then he wanted to tell her he wanted it medium rare, and of course we had no idea how to say it. I tried to say “blood,” sange, but I know that monkey is singe so it would be easy to ask her “Monkey?” So we didn’t get to tell her how to cook it. Oh well!

After that we lazed around and took the ferry back to Tahiti at 3 or 4pm. We had tons of time to kill until our flight at 2am! Unfortunately most of the shops and stores were closed. We got a pina colada at an outdoor bar. Fortunately, at around 5 or 6 there was a sort of food market, where everyone drove up in big vehicles and sold hot food from them. Almost ALL of them were Chinese food. So at least it was interesting to walk about there and Jim got a calzone. After we wasted as much time as we could, we got another “cab” back to the airport, at like 8pm!! (Our flight was at 2am!)

We went to a cafe at the airport and it was almost empty so we fell asleep on the seats there for a LONG time! Finally we checked in and the Duty Free was lame! Jim was all excited to finally get his flowered shirt but there wasn’t much choice and it was expensive! Too bad. We got some liquor tho. It’s amazing how cheap it is!

We boarded and Jim slept a TON and I even did a little bit. When we arrived in LA 8 hours later, I was tired and dirty. Our flight to Detroit wasn’t for like 8 hours. We had no plans, and thought we’d either jump on a bus and go somewhere for a few hours or just hang out in the airport. UGH. Instead we just paid the money and got a cheap room at Motel 6. I was SO happy to shower and I took a long nap afterwards. Jim was excited to have TV and he watched it the whole time. When I woke up we ordered delivery Mexican food. It is so fun to eat in your hotel room. And they brought SO Much food we had to throw out half of it!

I didn’t realize things about the US that bug me. Some things were evident right away. Rude, unfriendly people, people who have no sense of humor about themself and no consideration for others. Also, dirty and trashy people.

Finally we went back to LAX and got on the flight to Detroit, where I got off, and Jim connected to another flight to NY.



Tags:

One response to “Clearest water ever!”

  1. Claire says:

    We enjoyed having Kelly “home” for 6 days before she continued on to NY. We had a greeaat time!