BootsnAll Travel Network



Cairns Zoorific

For today, I planned to go to either the Cairns zoo or the Aboriginal park thingy.

The hostel I am staying at, Gilligan’s, is awesome. When I woke up in the nice bed, with the nice blanket, I did NOT want to get up.

So finally I dragged my butt out of bed and wondered how I was going to get to the Zoo, which I decided on. I looked in my guidebook and it said the main bus stop is in the city center.

So I wandered there and finally found the bus timetable and was totally confused, then saw a sign for the ticket office. I found the office and the guy sold me a full day ticket and told me how to get there.

The bus came soon after and I was on my way! I feel so proud of myself when I figure out a local bus. It is awesome. I am awesome.

So I arrived at the Cairns Wild World Zoo or Tropical Zoo or whatever and saw lots of neat animals. Keep reading because there is a fun Kelly story halfway down.

sadowl.jpg
Tell me this beautiful little owl doesn’t look so sad…? Poor thing! He sat in the corner the whole time.

redkoala6.jpg

redkoala2.jpg

The cutest animal ever, the red panda. He looks like a mixture between a cute little furry bear and a cute little furry dog that runs around the cage all the time. Also looks like a stuffed animal. SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!

zooroo.jpg
This animal is used to having humans around. But isn’t this kind of sad? I saw kangaroos lying on the ground and people pushing food into its face and the thing was obviously stuffed. (They sold food for $1 there.) An I turning into some animal rights loser?

Then they had dingoes and kookaburras caged up there. It almost made me laugh, because kookaburras are very common and dingoes are wily, so who were the dumb ones that got caught?

That’s more like the old Kelly.

opencroc2.jpg
The crocs just sit around with their mouths open like this.

Then, there was drama.

I took the lens cap off the camera (Jim’s multi-million dollar camera), and …

*Plop.*

lostcap.jpg
See arrows.

Then I starting thinking how I could go to a camera store and get a new cap, and it wouldn’t be a big deal and all that. But OH MAN!!!!!! That really sucked. I wandered around a while in disbelief, cradelling the delicate little (well, big)camera in my arms.

I couldn’t find any zoo personnel for a long time, but finally I did and the guy jumped into the croc place and his foot noise made one croc jump up and snap his jaws.

I yelled to the guy, “OH man, I’m gonna feel really bad if anything happens to you!”

“No worries, mate.”

savecap.jpg

My hero, my Steve Irwin. So now Jim will never know. And he wouldn’t since he never reads this. But I’ll tell him anyway.

(He did go to my blog one day but he just looked at the pictures and said one day he’ll read it and tell everyone it is all lies)

So after that, I came home.

(P.S. I had NO idea why black boxes are around some of the pics.. no time to fix.. bye!)



Tags:

One response to “Cairns Zoorific”

  1. tiff says:

    Hey Kelly please let Jim know to e-mail his cousin John because he has a lot of advice on what is good in New Zeland.