BootsnAll Travel Network



Another Day of Me

So yesterday I failed miserably at my task to find a cheap New Zealand Lonely Planet. I thought they would be everywhere, even used ones, since it is common for people to go to or come from NZ to Cairns.

That book is NO where to be found. I found places that had a zillion LP’s and no NZs!

Then I went to the supermarket and bought some low-fat pasta sauce.

Let me tell you more about the sauces here. Because Oz is so much closer to Asia and India, there are more Asians and Indians here, and their food is very common. So, just like you would find marinara sauce in a bottle in the supermarket at home, you can find common bottled curry, apricot sauces, butter chicken sauce, stir fry, etc etc. It is AWESOME. But stupid me, I thought I’d be healthy and get low-fat.

On the same note, I saw a can of baby corn for 99 cents, and I love baby corns in my Asian food, so I bought it, even though I wasn’t making Asian food. I thought it would be good anyway.

I also got some Kahlua flavored Tim-Tams because they were on sale. Tim-Tams are THE DEVIL. By the time I got back to the hostel I had eaten 3.

Then later I ran into another market and bought ham and deodorant.

I also forgot to mention that the first day we were here, we found a veggie market and got amazing deals… a bundle of carrots for $1, 4 small delicious mangoes for 50 cents total… you get the idea. It was great.

So I came home to make myself dinner and some guys had totally TRASHED the hostel kitchen. Earlier that day it was spotless. I can’t tell you how pissed off I was. One of the stovetops was filthy and had dried spaghetti on it and there were pots lying in the sink with meat sauce stuck to them and not ONE pot left in the cabinet. I was furious. I even went to the TV room to see if I could find a group of guys because I seriously would have told them to go and fricking clean up their mess. But they weren’t there. I was steaming.

I’ve found the one thing in life that makes me more angry than anything is when people don’t respect other people. And I don’t mean respect people like racists don’t respect, I mean just repecting people’s freedom to do and have things. Like, don’t ruin the kitchen so I don’t have any clean dishes, because I deserve them as much as you do. Don’t take up all the seats at the bus stop and set your backpack on them because I deserve a seat for my butt more than your bag does. Don’t come in late one night to the dorm and make a lot of noise when I am sleeping because I deserve to sleep and you should be quiet because it is late. Common courtesy. Stuff like that. Anyway.

So I found one tiny corner that wasn’t filthy and then found there weren’t ANY knives for cutting. So I had to cut a fat carrot with a BUTTER KNIFE. It was hell. It was more like scraping.

Finally I boiled those and cut up the ham and boiled some pasta. Then I had to find a guy to open my pasta jar because it would NOT open.

Then I had to have a girl open my can of baby corn because the can openers were weird and I couldn’t figure them out.

I guess I do need Jim around.

So I finally mixed the ham, carrot shavings, baby corns and pasta shells with a low-fat creamy sauce and it was nasty. The sauce ruined it because it was flavorless and there were way too many baby corns.

Afterwards I drank coke and ate more Tim-Tams.

Then today I found a Lonely Planet New Zealand. Time to cram!



Tags:

3 responses to “Another Day of Me”

  1. Snazzy says:

    Hi Kelly

    Have just been reading your blog, very interesting as we’re in Sydney and heading the same way you are now (who doesn’t!) Tim Tams are the devil made me laugh, they are too nice! I have an open packet in front of me now – 3 is my maximum at the moment! Keep on posting!

  2. kelly says:

    Hi Snazzy, and thnaks for reading! what is your blog address? YOu have SO much self control for the 3 tim-tam limit… I could try, but I would NEVer be able to. Man, they are SO good!!! I think I like the regular ones the best. Athough the caramel is good too!

  3. Snazzy says:

    Hi again

    Wasn’t organised enough to sort out a blog address, and we’ve been travelling for 6 months now – oh well, its fun to read everyone elses!