BootsnAll Travel Network



Rwanda and the genocide

It has been a few days. Up until yesterday there wasn’t much to write about. Daisy and I have spent the last couple of days trying to get our stuff straight for the rest of the trip in Rwanda. I am currently in Kigali, the capital. The money situation is tough in Rwanda, we really didn’t get to take care of our business until today since yesterday was Sunday and ATMs around town only take Rwandan cards.

Kigali is an interesting city. Very hilly and quite green. We arrived around 6:30p on Saturday and stayed at the Hotel Mille Collines. (thousand hills) The name does not lie, everywhere you go here you are traveling up and down. It has been overcast the entire time and I think it adds to the ambience.

Yesterday we started our day by heading to the genocide memorial. It was very well done and extremely informative. It went through the events from the 1930’s to present that shaped the country. I had read a bit about the genocide before but never got to see it as close as this. Some of the stories were absolutely heartbreaking and the images very difficult to look at. One of the things that stuck with me the most is learning the fact that in Rwanda, only 13 years ago, over 800,000 people were massacred, raped, tortured and humiliated… and with that, everyone in Rwanda has some connection. If they were not taking part of the genocide itself, they were victims or witnessess of the horror that took place. And even if they weren’t genocidaires or victims, they were planners or people who could do nothing about it. That haunts me slightly while walking through the streets and realizing the pain that this country went through in 1994. The memorial also discusses the response, or lack of response from the world and the admittance of UN leaders that there was more that could have been done and more that SHOULD have been done.

Outside of the memorial building itself there were several mass graves. One was kept open slightly with a coffin and a few bouqets that read “Repos dans paix” (rest in peace). I was able to upload a photo of it on my FLICKR account. I still haven’t been able to upload mass photos yet but I hope to soon.

Later in the evening we decided to go out and have a good time. Much in the fashion that Rwandans are able to put aside the atrocities of 1994 and keep their heads up. We took a walk and found a place called Nyira Rock. When we first walked in it was a pretty relaxing looking lounge/bar so we ordered a few beers. We noticed in the back that there was a stage set up and people were sitting around apparently waiting for a show to start. And did the show EVER start. It began with a few guys lip syncing to terrible US pop songs and boy band music. (terribly great in my opinion) When one song was over a new person or group would come out and perform a lip-sync’d tune. This continued on for awhile. I turned to Daisy and explained to her that there was absolutely no way that I could describe the comedy that was going on before us. It confused me becaus it was so terrible and SO good that I wasn’t sure the locals were in on the joke. I couldn’t really understand what it was about the show that was actually entertaining. No one was actually singing and they were horrible at lip-syncing.

One girl would come out and do a Shania Twain song and then another would do Celine Dion. Then a group of girls would come out and do Spice Girls. Some men would tip (ok I did, this one girl was really good at dancing actually) They were all full of energy.

During the guy group performances I mentioned to Daisy that one of them looked a bit feminine and he was an extremely good dancer. Not that I’m stereotyping at all but it was one clue to exactly what kind of show we were attending. After a few filler singers the show finally kicked off to its true form. The drag began. It was CLASSIC. And to no surprise the one who I had pegged for gay was in a huge black wig and tight shorts with a stuffed bra and another guy with some sort of farmer hat on and his belly stuffed to look pregnant. They ran around the stage and the crowd and performed to some sort of spanish sounding soundtrack. I can’t believe I’m even attempting to describe what went on because nothing will do it justice. It was great. It was surreal. We had found ourselves in the middle of an African…. no… Rwandan drag show. I couldn’t have been happier. I had been to one in Tampa and they are very entertaining, mainly because of the effort that the performers put into it. I should have known from the beginning that it was all warming up to this.

Anyway, 2 very contrasting stories from Rwanda yesterday but both very authentic. I am waiting for Daisy to finish up at the bank, changing her travelers cheques. After this we are heading to the tourism office to pick up our gorilla trekking permits. We’l head to Ruhengeri later today by 2 hour bus ride and tomorrow we should be in the rainforest in search of the mountain gorillas.

Again, i’m not sure of the internet situation outside of Kigali but if I can get online I will update and try and get at least a few photos of the gorillas.



Tags: , , ,

4 responses to “Rwanda and the genocide”

  1. Rachel says:

    Joey Bear,

    Glad to here you and Daisy are having fun. Take care of each other!

    Rachel

  2. Carlos A says:

    Jajajajaja……. I am glad that drag show wasm funny. I had fun just reading your story kid. I hope u can still jump in the Internet later in your trip. keep us updated take care Kid.
    God Bless

  3. ash says:

    omgomgomgomgomgomgomg! You stayed at Mille Collines!!! I am just in AWE Joey! How flippin awesome. 😀

  4. travelgirltiff says:

    try not to hump the gorillas. i know your awfully excited after that drag show!

  5. Vinny Tafuro says:

    So while you were watching drag shows in Rwanda I was watching Tom Wilson (aka Biff Tannen) perform stand up at the Impov in Orlando…

    Have fun butthead… I need to make a like a tree and get out of here!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwY5o2fsG7Y

  6. Paula says:

    Have fun finding the gorillas. How exciting! I love the blog & hearing about all your “different” adventures you are experiencing. A side note: Survivor starts Feb 8th! :> I’m going to miss our Thursday night chats! 🙁

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *