BootsnAll Travel Network



The Descent

After photos with the guides and with Flat Stanley, we don our mittens again and head back down.  Shortly after starting, Jill makes another vomit stop, and then declares her fingers are too cold, prompting a complex glove-exchange manoever with Jaimi;  as soon as Jill has something on her hands, Crispin sends her and Silvan running down the slope. As we round the crater on our way back down, it becomes apparent that we’ve become national heroes, as we are enthusiastically congratulated by each passing guide; they all insist on shaking hands and making exclamations of “ very very strong!”, “ so fast!” and “ I saw you flying up the mountain!”  This was fun, despite our advanced state of AMS.  Back at Gillmans’ Point, we saw the sun rise, then began the treacherous descent over the scrambling rocks.  The descent was as close to never-ending as the ascent towards Uhuru; we cannot believe that we actually climbed up so far.  It is probably good that at this point of exhaustion, we were not fully aware of the day’s statistics: 20 km hike, covering 1200m (4000 ft) elevation gain. Glissading down the scree, we are again in a trance-like state of just wanting to get down – as quickly as possible.  At 7:30, we collapse into our tent, and basically don’t move again until 10:00.  At which point, we need to pack up and hike another 9 km to the next camp. 

Our last night is spent at the Horombo Hut camp along the Marangu route, and we rejoice the last night in our tent and being within 24 hours of a shower.  The last day down is a long one, covering 19 km to Marangu gate; it is not an uneventful one however, as we again pass through 3 different climate zones.  In the rainforest, we even site blue monkeys and cows.  Yes, cows.  They are apparently illegally sent to pasture in the national park.  The day concludes with the excitement of working out the tips for our team, showers and a bottle of wine at the hotel.  (see the “things to consider” post for more on tipping).  It has been an incomprehensible adventure – until you’ve done this, you can’t imagine it.  We are so glad that we have!!!

Hans Meyer Cave on the descenthpim1356.JPGhpim1350.JPGhpim1363.JPGhpim1364.JPGhpim1369.JPGhpim1370.JPG



Tags:

3 responses to “The Descent”

  1. Juli says:

    So, what did your guide think of flat Stanley??? How do I find “things to consider”? Are you now laying at the pool? Did you feel “normal” again soon after decent? (AMS gone?) Can’t wait to hear everything in person!!! Any pictures of Cyrus City?

  2. Kevin Kearney says:

    Congratulations!

  3. thanks Kevin; if you are really considering doing this, I can highly recommend it. Once. I don’t think I’ll need to do a repeat though. We can chat in the upcoming weeks if you want any more info!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *