BootsnAll Travel Network



New Year’s Eve

Today is the last day of the year, and we are spending it on Mt. Kilimanjaro!  This is the second day of our climb and so far it has been fantastic.  last night before going to bed, we wandered around in the moonlight and enjoyed the view; the clouds partially cleared off and we had a starry night with a full moon.  Above us in the distance stood Kibo (the main peak), and the snows of Kilimanjaro gleamed in the moonlight.  Once in our tent, we had a few last bouts of giggling as well as a final success of the day. Finding spiders in our tent, we deftly (and with only a minimum of squealing) managed to exterminate them so we could go to bed.

This morning dawned clear; we woke up to a delivery of hot tea to our tent (by our waiter) and relatively quickly got dressed as we were excited to step out into the inviting sunlight.  The sky was brilliant blue, and Kibo looked near enough to almost touch.  We were thrilled that the team had moved our table from the dining tent out into the sun and enjoyed a full breakfast of porridge, eggs and sausage.The day’s hike went by fast, as we passed through heather and moorland, ending at the second cave campsite. After lunch and a nap, we then did our first acclimatization hike, with our assistant guide, Sylvan. Kibo was visible for the first half of the day, making this all seem real as we take steps closer towards that final summit day.

picture-049.jpghpim1246.JPGhpim1249.JPGhpim1252.JPGhpim1245.JPGhpim1259.JPGpicture-045.jpg



Tags: ,

2 responses to “New Year’s Eve”

  1. Juli says:

    HEY! That’s my shirt! 🙂 Are all those guys in the backgroud part of your two woman crew???? You did have a lot of luggage!!! They must make like .50 cents an hour (with that number of guys!!!) CRAZY!

  2. Tracy says:

    It’s a good thing you didn’t go with us on Mt. Adams Jill! Compared to your Kili crew, we would not have provided the service or amenities you are enjoying there!! A chemical toilet!! Remember the Targets I told you about?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *