BootsnAll Travel Network



Moshi, Tanzania – trying to complete another posting before Jill passes out (again…)

Wrapping up our first day in Tanzania, and the end of a very long travel day, we’re eating chocolate and trying to stay awake just a bit longer.   The flight of delirious giggling from Nairobi to Kilimanjaro was great fun;  at least we thought so – the other passengers just may have found our behavior a tad obnoxious to begin with, but were laughing along with us by the time we landed.  Walking from the plane into the Kili International Airport we were on a high; during landing we had gazed down on lush green countryside and even had seen the mountain faintly through the clouds, then upon arrival we were greeted by friendly people and beautiful landscaping.  Once entering the building, it quickly became apparent how they afford the uptake of the grounds, as we were duly informed with much smiling that a “multi-entry one-year-visa” is compulsory for Americans (only) and costs $100 per person. L  Talk about a buzz kill.

As we tried valiantly to get over the $100 visa issue, we exited the airport and found our driver waiting as planned.  Another climbing pair joined us shortly after and we sheepishly acknowledged that they had about half as much luggage as what we’d loaded into the van.  We chalked it up to just another gender difference; but then our last passenger arrived – and she also was more appropriately laden, able to carry her complete gear with her own two hands. 

Driving from the airport to the hotel we were very aware of how long it’s been since we were last in Africa.  As we passed through a number of villages and saw (hundreds) of people everywhere, just milling about the streets, children playing in the dust by the side of the road, free range goats and cows wandering aimlessly, we realized we’re going to need a bit of an adjustment period.  As we arrived at the hotel we were pleased to see the beautiful gardens and pool; then entered the room and realized this is no Club Med.  This also helped the puzzle pieces fall together on why all the other guests were so amused with our luggage – we’re packed up for a 4-star vacation and staying in a backpackers hotel! 

We spent the afternoon unpacking, relaxing by the pool, and getting a brief introduction to Moshi town by our safari guide, Seth.  The highlight of the day came on our way back, when Kilimanjaro made a very grand appearance from behind the cloud cover and we got a good up-close look of what’s in store for us.  It hovered there majestically, far above town, covered in freshly fallen snow and gleaming in the sun.  This perked us up, and we’ve been talking with the other guests about the climb – so far, the consensus of those who have completed it is, “Great climb, but it’s hard.  Really hard.  And a cold like you will never experience anywhere again.”  And so on that note – maybe we’re not sorry that we’ve packed so much!

P.S. Jill is very distraught by the fact that her ankles are still swollen from 36 hours of coach class.

dsc00148.JPGdsc00151.JPGdsc00155.JPGhpim1197.JPGhpim1198.JPG



Tags: , ,

5 responses to “Moshi, Tanzania – trying to complete another posting before Jill passes out (again…)”

  1. Juli says:

    HI guys! So glad you made it, together!!! What a bummer about the visa, so much for “dads” money, huh Jill, just when I thought of a sovenier! An african weaved basket for my house. Guess that would be hard to get home anyways! So, are they trying to discourage americans from traveling there??? Better pack all your warm stuff for the climb!!! YIKES! Don’t forget the sleeping socks AND Stanley!!!
    love ya
    jul

  2. Kevin Kearney says:

    Good to hear you arrived safely. Have a great time and hope the weather holds up. Nice pictures! Cheers, Kevin

  3. Cheri says:

    Wow! Your pictures are awesome, beautiful, and a little bit terrifying! Glad you both got there safely! Will be thinking of you-
    Love,
    Cheri

  4. Heather says:

    You two women are amazing! I’m at home thinking not in a million freaking years would I climb that sucker… but you’re gonna do it!!!! So AWESOME! 🙂 Even though you’ll be cold, think of the stories you’ll be able to tell!!!!! Good luck ladies – I’ll be sending warm thoughts your way. 🙂

    PS – I hope Stanley doesn’t wimp out! 😉

  5. Tanya says:

    Glad you arrived safely together. Great pictures and great reports. Love reading them. Am excited for you both and really really hope you’ll make it up and down the African mountain.
    Stay safe, Tanya

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *