BootsnAll Travel Network



Last preparations

We are in bed.  It has been a busy day and I have to say I’ve been amazed at Jill’s energy; after such a horribly long trip, I expected today to be more filled with siestas than sightseeing but we didn’t take a nap at all.  No wonder, I guess, that upon exiting the shower, I found Jill asleep over the laptop instead of completing the photo uploads.   I woke her up long enough to properly get into bed, now she’s already slumbering while I post the last real update for a few days.

The briefing with the guide was good and to his quiz of: “do you have….?”, we were able to consistently provide positive responses, so we’re feeling well equipped.  Whether or not we’re ready is another question altogether!  He informed us that we’ll have to slightly change our route to avoid spending 2 nights at a high camp – there has been a lot of precipitation and temperatures are well below zero so he’s worried too long up high is unnecessarily taxing. We also received confirmation that summit day will be between 12 – 14 hours with very short stops (3-5 min) at Gillman’s Point and Uhuru, then a longer break on our way down again to enjoy a hot breakfast.  After the briefing, we came back and started packing (and re-packing – everything now sealed in Ziploc bags to avoid getting drenched in the downpours they’ve been having); Jill suddenly mid-seal looks at me and says, “Wow. I just really got bungy-stomach!”  And she is right; this is definitely reminiscent of pre-Bloukrans Bridge!

We won’t have the computer with us on the mountain, so the updates during the coming 7 days will be brief (typed in with the phone when we have a signal).  But keep your comments coming!  We will be avidly reading them for motivation at each camp!

P.S. Reader poll: what to do with long hair for a 7-day hike and no washing opportunities? 

P.S. 2   A big “Thank you!” to all our equipment helpers – esp Lou for the sleeping bags, waterproof bag, drink bottles, etc.  and Achim for the high-tech goodies and power gel!



Tags: ,

8 responses to “Last preparations”

  1. Juli says:

    ARRGGGGG! I have bungi stomache too, and I’ve never jumped! I would definatly be braiding that hair, then you won’t even have much of hat hair in the eating hut! 🙂 The rain does not sound good… Dillon wants to know where you go to the bathroom!!!? Bundle up, pace yourselves and be glad you have someone else packing half your stuff!!!

  2. Tracy says:

    Reader Poll-I would recommend braiding to try to limit the amount of sweat and dirt contacting the hair and scalp. From my experience, it seems to stay cleaner that way. So glad you are both feeling ready and rested for your journey. Have a great trip!!

  3. Juli says:

    By packing I mean hiking with on thier back, and I forgot, ” Hakuna Matata!!!”

  4. Andrea says:

    7 days without a hair wash: buy a fancy hat and never ever take it off again…
    Now thinking of it, I can still feel the itching underneath.
    Take good care – and look forward to the Serengeti – I am jealous.

  5. Judi says:

    Reader poll number 3: I definitely agree with the braids, and the more and the smaller the better because then they will stay in so you don’t have to keep doing them over. Remember Kalle’s pre-Panama do? It lasted a week I think.

    Just got beck from a 24 hour getaway to Bonneville (Alyssa is home from school so babysat) but Kalle has been screaming for the two hours since I got home so ready to run away again. . . Wish I was with you!

    Stay safe!

  6. Juli says:

    Rob thinks you should go for the dread head look, it may be your only oppurtunity… I told him I thought you had to go longer than 7 days for that look. For goodness sakes GO TO SLEEEEPPPP! And Dillon really really wants to know the answer to his question!

  7. Judi says:

    So I am thinking maybe all the light packers did not have as many positive anwers to the equipment checklist? Always on your side, girls!

  8. Kevin Kearney says:

    Rain? I thought this was the dry season. Good luck and stay in one piece.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *