BootsnAll Travel Network



Bloukrans Bridge

Bloukrans Bridge

A breaktaking view of the lush canyon below and the surrounding tsitsikamma mountains. A few moments of silence as the air rushes past, a feeling of slow motion as utter peace descends…until you start to scream! Not of fear, of pure exhileration. The fear part is gone and now it’s just the sheer thrill and intense feeling of being alive.

We did it!! The highest bungy jump in the world!!!

So…we had actually been talking about it since we picked up a brochure earlier in the week showing that it was right by where we were going in the tsitsikamma. And we knew we would be driving over this bridge on our way to monkeyland. So, we thought we would at least check it out…

Even looking at the bridge, our stomachs tied up in knots, but we still got out to ask some questions. After telling us the cost and some logistics, the girl we were talking to went on to say, “After you jump, if you come back, you can look at photos and videos to decide if you want to purchase them..” Jaimi and I looked at each other and in unison said, “IF we come back???” “Yeah, if you come back…no, no, I mean WHEN, of course you will come back.” We weren’t so sure. Then we sheepishly asked, “and if we chicken out, if we don’t jump?” “oh no,” she replied, “if you pay and go out there, you WILL jump.”

So, the internal debate continued. Are we too old for this? are we that crazy? Is it irresponsible (as a mother)? Will Kevin be traumatized? And even the thought of doing it made us feel a little bick sickish…

In the end…it was an opportunity we just couldn’t pass up. Here we are on this adventure, and we are getting old, and this may very well be the last time we would get a chance and even remotely want to do something so crazy. And it is the world’s highest bungy jump, only a few kilometers from where we are staying. And what a great thing to be able to blog! Also, bungy jumping is something I’ve always wanted to try, and 10 years ago Jaimi told me she would take me. Nothing like following through on a promise!

Our resolve made, we woke up this morning a little queasy. I joined Jaimi at breakfast and noted, “You’re not eating much.” She said, “No, I’m not eating much.” We then packed up, checked out of the Armagh and headed west to the Bloukrans Bridge and to the Face Adrenalin bungy site.

Upon arrival, first stop…bathroom. Then on to registration, signing of the disclaimer (of course), and getting wieghed in (we were not too happy to see our weights get written on our hands, however). Then on to harness fitting. As little Kevin got his harness on (to walk onto the bridge jump site), we got many inquiries: “Is he going to jump?!” (Kevin himself kept stating that he also wanted to jump, fortunately his being underweight made it a non issue – not that his mom would ever have let him jupm, of course!). Then we had to wait and watch from the lookout as some other jumpers made the plunge. And thought, Are we REALLY going to do that?

Finally, we were met by Jacque, who escorted our group down the trail and onto the bridge. He gave us some info regarding the bridge and the bungy and on how to jump (to look good for the camera). I’m sure that was on the forefront of everyone’s mind! He also stated that hesitation would be our worst enemy, but iuf need be, they would help, illiciting a nervous laugh from the rest of us. He went on, “no, I won’t push – but I can alter gravity.”

Onto the catwalk which would lead us to the jump site at the center of the bridge, we started to get a good idea of how high up we really were. As we got closer, we could hear loud, funky music up ahead. At the jump site, half a dozen staff workers danced around as they readied cables, harnesses, etc. Jacque went through everyone’s stats and announced the line-up. “Jill is first, then Jaimi…” I didn’t really hear much after that.

A few moments later, they are ready for me. (Gulp.) Jacque leads me to a seat just a couple feet in front of what they call ” the main exit,” sits me down and starts attaching padding around my ankles. Then he secures the knot, explaining that it was simple but worked. And I think, ‘yeah, it looks a lot like one of the konts Kevin tied around my legges the other night when we were playting cheetahs.’ I am mostly in a daze as they explain safety measures, check my harness, doublecheck knots, and documents everything with photos. And I am thinking, ‘Am I REALLY going to do this?’ then Jacque helps me up and helps me hop out towards the edge. As I approach the lip, I ask, “wait, is my bungy on?” “Yep,” and then I see it; and I think, ‘Am I REALLY going to do this?’ Then I am standing on the very edge with Jacque on one side of me, another guy on my other side, sort of holding me (sort of getting ready to throw me off??) and they start to count down.

“3..” And there is nothing in fornt of me but an open expande..”2..” And very far below a river and lots of trees. ‘Am I REALLY going to do this?’ “1…, Bungy!!!!” ‘Arms out, head up, look good for the camera, am i REALLY going to…’ And I jump (or excuse me, “exit”)…

As Jill goes over the edge, I scream from the sidelines – I’m still not sure if it is out of exhileration for her, fear for what’s happening, or a precluse of what I’m about to do myself (Am I REALLY going to do this?). But down she goes and I know I’m not far behind. Kevin is bouncing about, I’m fretting, the music is pumping. How is she? How is it? I have to go next?!!?

…and now the internet is leaving and the story will have to be continued..

But long story short: Bloukrans Bridge: Been there, jumped that!



Tags:

2 responses to “Bloukrans Bridge”

  1. David says:

    AHHHHHH!!!!!! Worst cliff-hanger ever!!!! (or should i say bridge-hanger, ha!) Well, i am crazy impressed you got as far as you did. Even though your story doesn’t include a happy-survival theme, i can only assume you did as it would be an awful lot for you to type about the event as you were falling. Well, waiting in anticipation…. color me impressed!!!!

  2. tdiddy says:

    It’s official. YOU ARE NUTS! Both of you. NUTS!
    Come home safe! I think it’s time now.

  3. Mom says:

    And I missed it? I am sure I would have jumped, too. NOT! I couldn’t have even made it to the platform!

    Sista #1 wants to know (sophisticated one that she is), “Did you pee your pants?” She is not posting anymore after getting jumped on for talking about the $200 (what was that again, about the $200?) so I have to type the P word.

    By the way, if I seem absent, it is because on Wednesday eve Katie finally had her baby! The cutest yet (do I always say that?) If you have enough internet minutes, you can see her at http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/noahtwo/foals2006.html

    Come home in one piece!

  4. Safari Sistas says:

    Mom,

    Congrats on the new foal!!! Can’t wait to see her in person. Guess it is good you stayed home, then. Although we, of course, wish you were with us! Kevin would have held your hand on the bridge!! 🙂 We are very upset to hear Sista #1 is boycotting us, though!!

    Love you all; see you soon!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *