BootsnAll Travel Network



Melancholy in Lhatze and ode to a fuzzy apron

With a little happy dance sometimes comes a little bit of pain, not the physical pain, but the melancholy kind that comes along with travelling for 8 plus months, missing friends and relatives, knowing parties are happening without me, knowing that sometimes you won’t be having the most stellar of all times regarless of how mystical or amazing your location may be. I suppose all days have the potential for this, but today seems like I got the melancholy blues.

So after Shigatze, we headed to Sakya Monastery. The northern monastery was Built in 1073 the Southern in 1268. The houses surrounding are painted not in the ususal Tibetan whitewash, but in vertical marroon, grey and white stripes. I think to match the surrounding rock in the mountains, but I could be wrong. There is probably higher meaning to it than I could imagine..

The town Sakya itself isn’t much but the usual old Tibeatan houses and the newer Chinese buildings, looking out of place as seems to be the norm here in Tibet. The monastery was visitied in two days, following the pilgrims around to get into most of the chapels. Outside the main chapel, I found Luis sitting with a monk we got to chatting and I was checking out his fuzzy apron skirt, (the best description I have) he let me put it on, and I danced around a bit, Oh fuzzy how I love thee! I went to give it back and he wouldn’t have it! I kept trying until the big lama man came out and told me I must have it if he offers, so I am the proud new owner of a Fuzzy apron! The only thing I had to trade was a tibetan/chinese/english religous dictionary which I graciously gave to him. Oh fuzzy, You keep me so warm on these cold nights!

I can already imagine, running around the desert in my fuzzy apron this coming summer at Nowhere and then Burningman during those cold desert nights! YAY!

After the high of walking around all day in the hills of Sakya, the low and reality of travelling sans a tour group hit when the day after on trying to get Out of Sakya no one would let us get on the bus.. Of course there was a taxi willing to take us, but cripes! I don’t have the type of budget to be taking taxis all over Tibet. In the end we ended up taking the taxi, I am sure the drivers were in cahoots, drinking chang at our expense but luckily a lovely French couple we had come to Skaya with were heading in the same direction and helped share the cost..

In Lhatze things would be easier right?

I wouldn’t be in an internet cafe right now if it was.

As it seems, no one will take forgieners, buses, taxis, minibuses, yaks, mules, tractors.

Today was spent looking for anyone, to take us south. Some buses came, but there was no room others, mini buses looked at us like we carried the plague, and others just laughed in our faces.

Ah, the joy of travelling.

Tomorrow we will try again, getting up at 7am in hopes a phantom bus will pick us up and take us south, if that doesn’t work I will be forced to disquise myself as a Yak walk to Tingri..

Sounds like an adventure, I like adventure…. remember?

Big love from Tibet
jessica

ps. After almost four weeks of soup for breakfeast, lunch and dinner I am no longer on a search for soup. My high school english teacher Mr. Daniels always told my wanderlusting self “where ever you go there you are” hence the new title..



Tags: ,

One response to “Melancholy in Lhatze and ode to a fuzzy apron”

  1. Ronnie Clifton says:

    Jessica,
    I’m Pete’s friend and am enjoying your postings. I know the travel blues can be hard. If it’s any consolation, I read your posts, look at your pics, then look at my renewed passport with zero stamps in it. My original one had a total of two stamps over its 6-8 year span. Pathetic.

    So, thanks for giving me a vicarious experience of travel, adventure and liberation. When you get back home, rent “Easy Rider.” There’s a great speech in it by Jack Nicolson about freedom and what someone like you represents.

    Kudos to your parents for raising you right.

  2. Pity about changing your title. I preferred the former one! Aren’t we all in search of soup? Have a look at my new blog if you get a chance. Keep going!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *