BootsnAll Travel Network



Travel mistakes in Semporna

after 2 days in the jungle, I am now back on line in the seaside town of semporna.  I’ll catch up with my back-blogging in a bit (jungle was beautiful!), but for now let me share some first impressions of Semporna.  And admit to making my first 2 rather big-ish travel mistakes today.  Well, aside from the losing-lens fiasco, but that was more like an incident than a mistake.

Getting to Semporna worked like a charm : our transfer out of the jungle lodge was on the phone with the Sandakan/Semporna express bus driver and the two buses basically met up at a junction and we moved from bus 1 to bus 2.  I was about mid-line to get on bus 2, and after a few people got on, the rest of us were informed that upstairs was sold out and there were only VIP seats downstairs available.  Which would cost 50 ringgits, instead of 40.  (this is a difference of about 2.80€)   I pushed my 50 ringgit note at the guy and said it was fine, the other backpackers followed suit.  Perhaps the best 2.80€ ever spent.  We had big, cushy, reclining seats with footrest, there were only 8 seats on our floor (double decker bus), TV screen with movies playing, etc. So what could have been a cramped 4 hour bus ride was actually a nice nap, some reading, and sharing stories with my fellow travelers!

So now I’m here, and mistake #1 happened immediately.  2 couples also coming from the Nature Lodge did not have their stay in Semporna booked.  I told them about Scuba Junkie (with whom I’m booked), and that after my research it seemed like the best deal in terms of value for money.  So we shared taxis from the bus depot into town, and they all signed on with Scuba Junkie.  so far, so good.  BUT until that all happened, apparently there were only 2 people in the dorm room where i’ve booked a bed.  There are now 6 people.  🙁    Live and learn.

Mistake #2:  after dropping luggage at the lodge and signing in for my dive trip starting tomorrow, I went for a walk about town.  Feeling like I’m now on dive holiday, I didn’t bother changing clothes and so went out in my baggy capri pants and tank top.  Until today, I have not felt hassled at all in Malaysia – that all changed dramatically.  This may be a town where dive adventures commence, but it is still muslim Malaysia, and I felt that quite quickly.  I won’t be going out with exposed shoulders anymore.   Which frankly is annoying – the men wear whatever they want to be comfortable in the heat, but women are expected to cover themselves up or be treated poorly.  As much as I try to be tolerant to different belief systems and ways of life, this one gets me.

And finally, after my not-so-pleasant stroll through town, I realize why the guide books don’t have much to say about Semporna. There’s not much here, and it is not exactly a pretty town.  Really glad I’ll be getting on a boat first thing tomorrow morning and heading out to Mabul island.  I won’t be missing anything here.



Tags: ,

4 responses to “Travel mistakes in Semporna”

  1. Jill says:

    I don’t know – the hanging fish and the guy holding crustaceans look nice.

    Did you at least get to dive?

  2. Steffi says:

    Hi there, yes – Warsaw was really great and I loved to go for a stroll on my own in the Old town (if you really can say “old” as Warsaw was blown up by Hitler in 43/44; big rebuilding initiative according to pics, plans and drawings of most important buildings which had been destroyed took place till 1970th) on Saturday morning before heading off to the airport. Now back in ugly German weather… Hope you`ll be enjoying your diving part of the trip. Wishing you lots of fun. 🙂

  3. I have to add a comment here myself. After chilling out for a while and putting on a proper T-shirt, I went out and had a very nice evening. I went to a restaurant overlooking the water and was welcomed by extremely friendly staff. Looking at the aquariums, a bunch of different people came and asked if they could help me. I smiled and said no, went back to my table and ordered with my waiter. I then wanted to know why the giant shrimps in the aquarium were kept in plastic bottles – he walked me over to show and explain (they will hurt each other if they’re loose). All the other employees crowded around and after a quick discussion, my waiter asked me – a bit embarrassed – if they could take a photo with me. So I posed with the girl who wanted the photo, the for another with a few staff members, then another… by the time we were finished, I think the final photo had me with 7 malay folks. I then also took one with my smartphone – I’ll load that one to facebook. Anyway, my faith in these people and their genuine interest and welcome is restored! Maybe I just overreacted in the afternoon…

  4. Juli says:

    They probably thought you were Kelly Ripa! 😉