BootsnAll Travel Network



Kinabatangan River

My transfer was supposed to pick me up in front of the S.O.R.C between 12:30 and 12:40.  After watching a few minivans come and go (without me), I started to get nervous.  At 12:45 I tried to call the contact number I had – no answer.  I waited in the baking sun, and sweated, and waited a bit more.  Finally around the corner came a bus!  And they had my name on their list!  What a relief.

It took us about 2 hours to get to the part of the Kinabatangan River where the Nature Lodge is located.  Most of that time we drove my palm plantations, where they harvest the fruit and make palm oil (for cooking, cosmetics, etc).  These palm plantations, while doing a lot to help the Malaysian economy, are the primary reason Orang-utans are endangered.  Massive deforestation has happened to make way for the palm trees, leaving many small pockets of rainforest that are not big enough to support Orang-utans.  And as Orang-utans’ primary mode of transportation is swinging – and they cover large distances to find enough food – the plantations as well as rivers and such provide unhelpful borders.

Palm plantation

Jungle - this is what Borneo is supposed to look like!

Once into the rainforest, we unloaded the bus, loaded a boat, and motored over to the lodge.  Which is beautiful.  Trying to keep costs down, I booked a far-from-luxury but very integrated into nature lodge, and it was a good choice.  A few drawbacks (will document in my reviews section once I get to it), but overall had a good experience.  Our jungle guide, Mohammed, was great!  He really made an effort to tell us about the different wildlife we were seeing – their living, eating, reproducing habits and how they interact with each other.

We checked in and within 20 minutes were back out on the river for our afternoon river safari.

Heading out on safari

Cruising down the river. lined with jungle

A happy safari customer!

Having taken millions of photos (okay – 458 to be accurate), I’ll do my best to sort out just a few to provide an overview. Here is at least a partial sighting list:

Orang-utan (albeit way off in the distance)

green viper

macaque monkeys (loads of them!)

silver leaf monkeys (very rare and no photo – he took off quickly when he heard us approach)

hornbills

egrets


and the crowning sight of the evening – a tree filled with proboscis monkeys, including the dominant male.

A word about proboscis – they are only in Borneo.  The male has a very strange and big nose.  They are very shy monkeys, so sightings are quite exciting (I’m wondering if the nose thing contributes to being shy?  Certainly was a factor in my childhood shyness).  There are two kinds of groups in which proboscis live: a harem (dominant male with lots of wives)  or in a bachelor group (all the guys that don’t end up with a harem).  Listening to our tree full of proboscis screeching around, Mohammed’s words of wisdom: “that’s what happens with lots of wives…lots of family discussions.”

Dominant male Proboscis monkey

Back at the lodge, we had a 30 minute break to chill out and watch the bats fly around, then dinner and gearing up for our night jungle walk.  So here’s the thing and maybe you can help me understand it.  I wasn’t really worried about snakes (which are mostly poisonous around here), but I took tremendous pains to do whatever possible to ensure no leeches could get me (which are harmless creatures).  How does that make sense?  We all had to wear rubber boots because there’s been a lot of rain and mud – I was late picking mine up and ended up with some 3 sizes too big.  Oh well.  Left them on the porch and went in to pull on another pair of socks.  When I came out again, my boots were gone , apparently swapped out by some german students living in the dorm next to us.  And a pair of boots 5 sizes too big left in their place. Hmmmm.

Off into the dark we marched, flashlights on, boots sloshing, jungle sounds all around.  It was pretty cool.  At first. And then we reached the first mudhole.  Squish, squash, boot stuck, no – got it, squish, made it.  Sigh of relief and march on, looking for a ghost monkey and finding a flying lemur.  Next mudhole: squish, squash, stuck boot, pull, squash, squish, stuck…falling off!… no, falling over.  Hard to keep your balance in a jungle mudhole when trying to prevent your boot from falling off AND worrying about leeches

room-mate #5

at the same time.  And unfortunately, that was it.  I had trouble enjoying the rest of the walk and was very happy when we got back and I could dive into the (kind of scary looking) shower.  After getting cleaned up, went to bed, said good night to my female roommates and roommate #5  (a friendly gecko perched on the wall next to me) and slept away.

Day 2 was supposed to start with a 6:00 river safari.  Unfortunately, it started with someone’s alarm going off at 5:00.  Followed by her rummaging around for 20 minutes finding her stuff before heading to the bathroom.  WHAT?  Who gets up an hour early to go on a river safari?  Are you kidding me?  The rest of us had set alarms for 5:45 – I mean, how long can it take to pull on clothes and brush teeth?  It’s the jungle for crying out loud. I doubt the monkeys care how you look.

Mortal Lizard

Grey Eagle

Macaque - deep in thought


A wary Mama macaque, watching out for her baby

Safari was again great, followed by a big breakfast and packing up.  I am a bit sorry to leave this jungle – the beautiful trees and landscape, the mysteriousness of it, the wildlife and the pure nature here – this is how I’ve always imagined Borneo.  Next time (if I get back here), it will include a longer stay in the rainforest!

Macaques are amazing jumpers, covering up to 4-5m in a single leap



Tags: , , ,

2 responses to “Kinabatangan River”

  1. Juli says:

    I forgot I could comment! The jungle sounds awesome!!! I wish I were there to go get your boots back for you! I would have!!! And the big ones would have fit me 🙂 Snakes sound scary, not so fond of leeches, but not scary, silly girl. So are you blind in one eye for the rest of your trip? I am leaving Sat for Christmas shopping in the big city of Portland, and don’t have a Kevin list! Hoping you can fb me some ideas before you are out of internet range! Stay safe, can’t wait to see you and help you scrapbook your wild adventures!

  2. Steffi says:

    Sounds really awesome your jungle experience. Guess what – last night there was a film on German TV telling a less entertaining and much predictable story of a couple ending up in Borneo (he a pure sales guy keen on closing successful deals, she good-looking without a real job). In the end they split as she found out that his local business partners were destroying rain forest, killing Orang-Utans and selling the wood they got from the jungle as “100% green” certified. There were really some awesome nature pics from Borneo so I almost can of which you’d been surrounded the last 2 days. Wishing you lots of fun for the next part of your trip, already looking forward to your next story! *smile*