BootsnAll Travel Network



flight delay and consequent ponderings

we are perhaps all used to having flights delayed due to inclement weather conditions, technical issues, crew members missing, and the like.  My flight to Brunei today is delayed due to VIP movement on the other side.  That is, someone very important in Brunei has decided to travel today, and therefore the airport has been closed off to all other air traffic for 2 hours.   So – once again I’m hanging out in a lounge.  Which gives me the chance to share my experience hitherto with asian service and my confusion about languages, nationalities and countries.

Let’s start with that – although the final conclusion is really quite simple, this morning I was rather boggled by the manicurists.  There I was, having someone working on my hands while another girl worked on my feet (yes, I tipped them for taking on such a daunting task) and they began chatting with each other.   I naturally asked which language they were speaking and to the answer “Mandarin”, followed up with an innocent:  “oh, so do you come from China or from Singapore?”  They giggled and answered then deadpan, “from Malaysia.”  Now, I’ve been dutifully reading in my Borneo tourism book and I had to ask…”um, shouldn’t you then speak Malay?”  They giggled again and shook their heads.   That was my answer.  And really, it is about that simple.  This part of Asia is such a melting pot, that you can’t really create simple ratios like we tend to grow up with, such as Germany = German, France = French, US = English.   In Singapore, there are 4 official languages (English, Tamil, Malay, and Chinese) and the situation isn’t that different in neighboring areas like Malaysia, Indonesia, etc.  In most of these countries you’re likely to encounter any number of people with heritage from one of the other countries.  So it’s commonplace to hear all different languages in all different configurations – and very often an amalgamation of several tongues at once.

Regardless of which nationality or language I’ve dealt with so far, it’s been paired with first rate service.  T he concept of service here is still one based on what seems in western countries to have become antiquated notions that the word derives from “to serve” and basically means performing duties or tasks in order to satisfy or fulfill someone else. that “someone else” being the customer who is therefore by default “king.”   My flight delay for example: obviously, Singapore Airlines has no influence over the travel decision of VIP in Brunei travel. Nevertheless, I was informed by 3 different airline employees, all of whom profusely apologized for the delay.  In addition,  at check in, I was presented with an official letter of apology and an invitation to eat lunch at the airlines’ expense to help ensure my comfort during the wait.  I politely declined, indicating I would just proceed to the lounge to get a cup of tea.  Once in the lounge, I realized the invitation for lunch still exists – there is full buffet replete with various curries, noodle dishes, rice, vegetables and so on.  In addition to the standard lounge food and snacks that you find everywhere.  Okay, no champagne like in Lufthansa lounges, but that is simply a cultural difference rather than a lack of providing comfort for their customers.  Why do so many people really like Asia?  Plenty of answers to that question, and I think this service mentality is certainly one of them.



Tags: ,

2 responses to “flight delay and consequent ponderings”

  1. Steffi says:

    Hi there, hope you won’t get stuck too long due to VIP travelling today! Keep my fingers crossed that this won’t start spoiling your trip planning. Take good care of yourself and enjoy being treated like a queen by all the Asian people. You really deserve it after hectical times in the job! 🙂

  2. hi Steffi – so far still on track! having a wonderful time although the places I’m staying are a big difference from business hotels! it’s fun, though, even though a bit less comfortable. 🙂 Hope the concert and party was good, and you made it safely home from Warsaw!