BootsnAll Travel Network



Mission Beach!

Only had 2 nights in mission beach but had a great time! Our friend Kevin was still with us and when we checked into our room at Scotty’s Beach house, he was in our room! All the rooms had been done up recently so was lovely and clean! Another nice, cjhilled out hostel and we especially enjoyed having a sofa right outside our room which is where we spent most of our time.

We were basically at mission beach to go white water rafting down the river tully. Our bus collected us at 8 in the morning and we were rafting by about 10 once we’d put on our life jackets and helmet. Was awesome fun. There was us 3, Kevin and 2 guys from denmark in our raft and our guide was called Tim. We were doing grade 4 rapids all which were fun! People were falling out all the time and we did go in to the river for a few swims along the way. Stopped off for lunch which was  a nice BBQ and then had another couple of hours after that! One rapid Al got launched into the air and got a few bruises to her leg but one girl in another raft broke her ankle! So was pretty dangerous but we survived without too much damage! Got back to this cafe around 3 and watched the DVD, which was funny as you saw everyone falling out and pulling up there bikini bottoms etc!

 That was it really for mission beach but very much enjoyed ourselves! The next day we had to wait till 1.30 for our oz bus so we watched the hangover in the tv room at the hostel! Our last bus journey was quite short and the best bit was we went to a Croc farm on our way to Cairns!

The farm was even better than Australia zoo in that you got so close to the crocs. First though, we got to hold a black cockatoo called banksy…it pee’d on Mikaela haha! Then a baby croc and a snake!!! Then 2 guides showed us rouind to the crocodile pens and they were HUGE! One minute there hiding in the water and the next there out on the grass 2 metres long snapping there jaws! One slapped the guide round the leg with its tail. And one was 5meters long! Crazy. We also fed kangaroos and saw some absolutely evil Cassowarys which are horrible big birds like Osterriches! Anyway had a brilliant time there!

After the farm we left for Cairns and it was only a short journey! When we arrived we checked into our swish hostel Gilligans. Had a free meal that evenign and played drinking games with our dorm mates till about 12 when we went downstairs for a dnace. bailed out after a while though as we wre all shattered. Not before Mikaela and Al had a Kebab though! Bed by 2 though!

Now in Cairns it’s raining and its humid! Today we went to the cinema which was amazing and saw the Blind side! Definitely recommend it! Anyway we’re here for a month now, have a trip to cape trib trip bookedd and port douglas and i can’t wait to get out on the reef for our dive!

Will report back soon!

Holly xxx



Tags:

2 responses to “Mission Beach!”

  1. Granny and Grandpa says:

    It must have been very thrilling white water rafting. Grandpa and I only did grade 3 in NZ and that was bad enough. Only one girl an Australian fell in the water, not from our dinghy, but we managed to get her out of the water. I think being over 50 was a little too old, but it was an experience. Hope you like Cairns. The Hilders arrived safely to gorgeous weather and are enjoying swimming and The Easter Egg Hunt.
    Didn’t Charlotte do well in her exam?
    xxxxxxxx

  2. fionahilder@sky.com says:

    Hiya We are having fun USA Been swimming beach etc..and been thinking about doing some paragliding but not aranged yet!!!! Very pleased u going on a dive i hope u remember the divers motto NEVER HOLD YOUR BREATH Let us know how it goes

    Ok we off back to Tara apartment as getting late

    Continue to have fun and be safe!!

    love from us all

    Auntie xxxxx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *