BootsnAll Travel Network



Maggie Island

Hello again…

We left Airlie Becah bright and early last sunday and our oz bus driver was Luke (who we had from our Melbourne to Sydney tour) so was nice to see a friendly face and play the familiar games on the way to Magnetic Island.

In order to get across to Magnetci Island we had to catch a ferry from Townsville! Only took 20mins and then in order to get to our hostel we caught a bus. Our hostel called base was literally on the beach with a stunning view and a very chilled out feel to it! Open plan bar/dining area and then our rooms/huts were toblerone shaped like a teepee. Fun but very cramped with 4 bunk beds jammed inside!

We stayed 4 nights on the island. The first day we hired a pink barbie car whch was hilarious although unfortunately we had last pick of a car and it was boring with enforcer II seat cover but still was a lautgh. And when i say car its more like a golf buggy but better, no doors or windows tho! We were only allowed to drive along one side of the island which is only 10km’s long. But we stopped at picnic bay and horseshoe bay. Had a swim in the sea, in the area sectioned off by nets due to stingers and had some lunch. Then we drove around again for a bit. The car seats 4 so we had our friend Kevin with us as well. Him and Mikaela were our designated drivers as they were the only 2 old enough but I did have a little go at one point. However Kevin then decided to hang his whole body out the car just as we drove past a police car. Tried to pull into a car park to swap drivers but it was too late and the police rocked up nect to us. Thoguth he was going to ask for my liscence but instead he just told Kevin off afetr warning him there a $300 fine! Obviously now we see the funny side but at the time we were pretty scared. Decided maybe a legal driver should continue after that incident and we went for a lovely walk to a fort for the rest of the afternoon.

The next day we went on another walk up to hawkings point. It was definitely the hottest day yet and we were sweating absolute buckets so we got back quickly and jumped staright in the pool. Which is where we spent most of the day! The next day however the weather was utter shite! Literally spent the whole day in bed reading, had a can of baked beans for lunch and went back to reading! Was nice to do nothing though. The next day we left the island at 8 and once back in townsville we caught our next Oz bus to mission beach!!!



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *