BootsnAll Travel Network



In Hanoi

Hi All,
Well, I’m still in Hanoi and unemployed.Maybe the stories about schools desperately seeking teachers was a myth. Or maybe that was just in Thailand. Anyway I have sent resumes to several schools and am waiting to hear from them.
Took a city tour the other day and visited, among other things, the mausoleum of Ho Chi Minh. Big marble block building. Very austere with strict rules regarding deportment. No cameras, no laughing, no talking, no hands in pockets. We went thru screening before going in and moved in single file. Beautifully uniformed guards moved us along. No stopping, keep moving. The big boy was laid out in a glass coffin. Looked like a wax dummy.
The Presidential Palace was next door but Ho chose to live simply in a two room house on stilts. Will send pictures when I can.
Visited Temple of Literature which is an ancient school but looks like a pagoda.
Monday, went to the Perfume Pagoda. It’s a two hour ride from Hanoi. That in itself is an adventure. There are many, many, many more motorbikes than cars in Vietnam and they crowd the streets and roads. Cars just weave in and out honking all the way. But we killed no one. After the car ride, there is a one hour boat trip. four passengers and one FEMALE rower in a metal flat-bottomed john boat. And it began to rain. We bought flimsy ponchos, very flimsy. Everything in my backpack got wet. Was able to protect my camera. They we went up a mountain. I chose to ride the cable car. The Perfume Pagoda is in a cave. It’s the most sacred pagoda in Vietnam. Interesting but not spectcular. Mostly just a huge cave with the Budda and decorations inside. Pictures to follow.
Enjoyng myself and seeing the sights while I can. Will let you know my progress as I know it. Anxious to find a job. but wanting to see what there is to see.
More later,
Love to all,

Tags: ,



Leave a Reply