BootsnAll Travel Network



Song of the Month: October

Continuing my catch-up from last fall, let’s move to October.  After a rainy summer, we finally got some nice weather in the Fall and took advantage of it to do some hiking and day trips.  One of these trips was to Kobarid, Slovenia.  This town is most well known for a series of 12 battles during World War I that took place along the Soca river valley nearby.  Most people learn about the French western front in history class, but there was also heavy fighting and huge casualties on this front as well.  We’ve been ready some history of the area, including a great book called “Caporetto and the Isonzo Campaign: The Italian Front 1915-1918” by John Macdonald.  In it he mentions the museum in Kobarid which we visited and found very moving.

The mountains surrounding the area offer a beautiful backdrop on a sunny, Autumn day.  It’s hard to imagine what it must have been like during the severe winters and when the shelling was going on all around.  There is a marked historical walk that leads past the old trenches, as well as a hidden waterfall at the end of of a gorge (see below).

All this thought of conflict led me to my song pick for this month:  “Sunday Bloody Sunday” by U2.  I always liked the song and it seems to fit.

A more peaceful scene near Kobarid:

Caporetto and the Isonzo Campaign: The Italian Front 1915-1918

Tags: , ,



Leave a Reply