BootsnAll Travel Network



Running on Empty

I had another one of those weird moments this week when we finally finished the tube of toothpaste we had bought in Thailand.  It was a strange tasting, slightly minty green gel that had an indecipherable red and white Thai logo which looked suspiciously like “Colgate.”   Now I’m back to using the real thing… with tooth whiteners, plaque control, and all that. This event is pretty minor, but it does remind me that our travels are over. With each can of Portuguese hairspray or box of French “batonettes” (Qtips) that I’ve finished and replaced with the American version, I feel like we are getting further and further from that life.  I knew this time was coming, but it’s funny which things trigger the memories.

Shopping for toiletries in foreign lands brings me to some other travel advice.  Before we left, all the books, blogs, and discussion forums warn you not to pack too much stuff. I didn’t listen and brought all sorts of things with me. The reality is that you really can find anything you need anywhere in the world.  It really depends on how picky you are about brands, how much time you have to spend searching and shopping, and how much money you are willing to spend.  I’m a little particular about some things, like my facial moisturizer (Clinique is available in every country, but much more expensive in Europe), but much less about other products.  If you have an allergy to some fragrance or need a specific contact lens solution, by all means bring some with you.

However, it’s really impossible to carry around a year’s supply of everything, so sooner or later you’ll have to forage while you’re on the road.  We found that just on the outskirts of most big cities, there are big suburban shopping centers with a lot more selection of products and lower prices.  I know that a lot of people are against this “globalization”, but when you’ve run out of shampoo, socks, and aspirin, it’s really nice to be able to get everything in one stop.  Keep in mind that it still might take you all day to do it depending on how much of the local language you understand.

Tags: ,



Leave a Reply