BootsnAll Travel Network



Big Mango

We are back in Cairns now after spending some time in the Whitsundays.  The 8 hour drive each way gave us plenty of time to get used to driving on the other side of the road.  However, I still keep turning on the wipers every time I intend to signal.  The Bruce Highway is a two lane road that makes its way through mile after mile of banana, mango, and sugar cane plants.  There is even a railway system along the way to transport the cane to the many sugar mills. 

Airlie Beach is a nice resort town on the coast and the “gateway” to the 74 Whitsunday Islands.  We stayed there and then headed out to Daydream Island for a few days of sun and sand.  The weather didn’t cooperate – winds were way too strong and the waves too big – so we unfortunately didn’t get to sail or kayak.  It didn’t matter much and we just kicked back and enjoyed the resort.

I was thinking of posting pictures of the beach, palm trees, boats, etc. However, I think this one gives a better idea of the drive:

blog-mango.JPG

Tags: , ,



One Response to “Big Mango”

  1. Uncle Jay Says:

    Yup, that’s Australia!

    We were initially puzzled as to these obvious connections with US aesthetics– it must have come from somewhere, right? Well, visiting some museums in Vic gave us the answer. Yes, Californians went to Oz in large numbers in the 1800s. The rest is giant roadside attraction history.

Leave a Reply