BootsnAll Travel Network



What Did You Say?

I´ve been meaning to take the time to write about funny language mishaps I have here. Unfortunately, I have had quite a few. Although my Spanish improves day by day, it´s still beginner Spanish. Combine this with the fact that the Spanish here is somewhat different than where I have traveled in the past, and it´s easy for language mishaps to happen. Additionally, cultural differences abound-sometimes people don´t talk about a certain subject directly-or when they do, it´s done in a certain way.

Here´s an example:

One day a dog followed me home. Not sure if he was there to stay, or simply there for a meal, I fed him and figured he would go back home. The next day, he was on the back patio, waiting to be fed again. This happened for several days, so I finally named him Captain Jack Sparrow(Jhonny Depp and pirate movies are very popular here.). Captain Jack made himself comfortable on the back patio, and seemed to have decided Catalina´s home was his new permanent home.

I became concerned that when I finally left to go back to the States, my family would stop feeding Captain Jack. This was a valid concern, as as I have mentioned before, people do not feed their animals here-at least not regularly. Very few people have pets, who are coddled over and well fed, as our animals are in the US. So I was worried about his fate, and trying to figure out if I should take him to a friend´s house who has pet dogs here.

So I asked my family if they would feed him when I was no longer here. But what I actually asked them was ¨Tu come mi perro?¨, which means, ¨Will you eat my dog?¨!!!
This left everyone quite shocked, their mouths open. Once we all realized my mistake, we all cracked up laughing. As a matter of fact, they tell this story over and over again, every single day.

Here´s another example:
The other night, I was attending church with my family. Half way thru the service, the woman next to me started speaking to me. I couldn´t hear all of what she had said-there was alot of chaotic activity going on at the time, and quite a lot of noise- but I did hear her say something about ¨….a person had died ….¨

. So, all I heard was that someone had died, in the church.
Right after she said that, I was looking around at all the people near me. Suddenly, I realized the woman who had been rather fervently dancing in the middle aisle was lying down on the cement. She was in the position of someone who had been laid out-and she wasn´t moving. Was she dead?, I wondered? She did not seem to be moving at all, and people began praying over her. She did not move.

Oh My God.

I am sitting 4 feet away from a dead body, I thought.

Everybody kept singing, praying, dancing, and jumping-it did not seem to matter to anyone that the poor dead woman was in their midst.

I was freaking out. I mean, I was trying to be calm, thinking to myself that this was just another cultural experience-but honestly-I was reeling.

Trying to remain composed, I was about to point out the dead woman to my hostess-she had been onstage and had just come back to her seat-when…

The dead woman suddenly leapt up and started dancing!

Oh my God, I almost had a heart attack! I fell backwards off my seat, and my hostess looked alarmed.

I explained that I had thought the woman was dead! I explained that another woman sitting near us had explained to me that someone had just died, and that I thought it was the (now) dancing and jumping woman, who had been lying on the ground and not moving moments before.
Great hilarity broke out in my family-and they began explaining in Ngobe why I was so shocked when the woman leapt up minutes before to the surrounding people on the benches. With everyone laughing, Catalina explained to me that no had just died-the story I had been particially told happened a year ago. A missionary had died building the church-no one had died that night.
gg



Tags: , , , ,

373 responses to “What Did You Say?”

  1. “This blog post is a breath of fresh air! The content is not only informative but also presented in a captivating manner. I appreciate the author’s expertise and the way they break down complex concepts into easily digestible nuggets of wisdom. The writing style is engaging, making it a pleasure to read from start to finish. This post has not only added value to my knowledge but has left me eagerly anticipating more insightful content from this blog. Kudos to the author for delivering such an enriching experience!”
    Mercer County trespassing lawyer

  2. Greetings from Florida! I’m bored to tears at
    work so I decided to check out your website on my iphone during lunch break.
    I really like the knowledge you present here and can’t wait to take a look
    when I get home. I’m surprised at how quick your blog loaded on my cell phone ..
    I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, very good blog!

    My website: twitter com biopatriarx

  3. It is not my first time to go to see this web page, i am browsing this site dailly and get fastidious information from here daily.

  4. Therefore, customers can shop with confidence and await supply.
    This could prove to be a very important piece of jargon for you to know.

  5. FSqzixdpCnd says:

    Suites within the East Wing with a window overlooking Geyser
    Basin have a breathtaking scenic view. Named after the nearby Madison River,
    Madison Campground is positioned in a stupendous mountain setting with plenty of wildlife.

  6. Hello, I wish for to subscribe for this web site to get newest updates,
    thus where can i do it please assist.

  7. I thoroughly enjoyed exploring the content on your website. The articles are informative, well-written, and engaging. The design is user-friendly, making navigation a breeze. Your commitment to delivering high-quality and positive content shines through, creating a welcoming online experience. Keep up the fantastic work, and I look forward to more inspiring content from your platform!
    Abogado Conducción Imprudente Condado Monmouth

  8. Awesome! Its genuinely awesome article, I have got much clear
    idea on the topic of from this article.

    my web-site: reptiles guied blog

  9. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something that I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complex and very broad for me.

    I’m looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

  10. Wat Phnom says:

    Usually I don’t learn article on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very compelled
    me to check out and do so! Your writing style has
    been amazed me. Thank you, very nice article.

  11. I just couldn’t depart your web site before suggesting that I really loved the
    usual information a person supply on your guests? Is gonna
    be back continuously to check up on new posts

  12. This metropolis is well-known for textiles promoting Kancheevaram and Benares designer sarees.

    Bangalore being a metropolitan city and multi-cultured savor the most
    effective Jain, Veg, Non-Veg meals choices.

  13. Carmela says:

    Good article! We will be linking to this great article on our website.
    Keep up thee good writing.

  14. Thanks for one’s marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it,
    you can be a great author. I will make sure to bookmark your blog and
    definitely will come back very soon. I want to encourage yourself to continue your great writing, have
    a nice morning!

  15. ทางเข้าpgค่ายบริการเกมบนมือถือที่มีเกมมากรูปแบบใหม่ที่ทำเงินให้ผู้เล่นได้เงินจริง เล่นเกมง่าย มีแนวทางสอนการเล่นเกมสำหรับมือใหม่ pg slot ไม่มีเบื่อและตื่นเต้นไปกับเอฟเฟคในเกมที่ไม่ซ้ำ

  16. Howdy would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re using?
    I’m looking to start my own blog soon but I’m having a hard time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.

    P.S Apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

  17. ThankYou For Sharing Such An Great Post. Regards; peacocktv.com/tv

  18. “blogs.bootsnall.com/gigirtw” offers an intriguing glimpse into the world of language and communication with the post “What Did You Say?” Through insightful observations and personal anecdotes, the blog delves into the complexities of understanding and interpreting language in different cultural contexts. Readers are invited to reflect on the nuances of communication and the challenges of navigating language barriers. Dive into this thought-provoking exploration and gain a deeper appreciation for the power of words and cross-cultural communication. Explore the fascinating intersections of language and culture with “blogs.bootsnall.com/gigirtw.”
    divorce center new york ny

  19. USA Network is a popular American channel that has more than 90 million viewers

  20. إذا كنت تعيش في الرياض وتبحث عن شركة تنظيف موثوقة ومحترفة، فأنت محظوظ لأنه يوجد العديد من خدمات التنظيف الممتازة المتاحة في المدينة.
    شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالرياض

  21. تقدم شركات التنظيف في الدمام خدمات شاملة لتنظيف المنازل والمكاتب. تتمتع هذه الشركات بفرق عمل مدربة تأخذ على عاتقها مهمة تنظيف الأماكن بدقة وفعالية.
    شركة تنظيف منازل بالدمام عمالة فلبينية

  22. ذا كنت تبحث عن خدمات عزل المواسير في الدمام، فأنت على الطريق الصحيح. يعتبر العزل الجيد للمواسير ضروريًا للحفاظ على نظام المياه والحفاظ عليه منعا للضرر.
    شركة عزل مواسير بالدمام

  23. عندما يتعلق الأمر بنقل الأثاث في الرياض، فإن شركة سبيد واي تبرز كواحدة من أبرز الخيارات المتاحة للعملاء الذين يبحثون عن خدمة موثوقة وفعّالة.
    اسعار نقل العفش بالرياض

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *