BootsnAll Travel Network



Tikal

Well, sorry..it´s been awhile since I have written on this blog!
Lots to tell everyone, but perhaps best to start from the beginning.

Last off, we were in El Estor,a town by Lago Izabel. I felt a little under the weather, kind of like a bad cold. I had found out that I had Dengue Fever, although they had told me it wasn´t a bad case-whatever that means! I had had the big fever that they talk about, and thinking myself in the recovery period, we boarded a bus for Rio Dulce. Rio Dulce was..touristy, lots of yachties walking around with sperry topsiders and women in skimpy clothes. Not a place I would want to hang out in for long.

Luckily, we didn´t have long to wait for the bus to Flores, which is the main city close to Tikal. We got on the bus without much trouble and landed in Flores without inccident-for once!

From Flores, we had to take a bus to El Remate, where we had reserved a hotel. According to the Lonely Planet guidebook, El Remate was the place to be, so thats why we chose the place.

Unfortunately, we had just missed the last bus to El Remate-leaving us at the taxi driver´s mercy, of course. After much hard bargaining and claiming we had no money-almost true, as we were getting pretty broke by then-we somhow ended up getting in a collectivo mini bus. The driver told us we were going straight to El Remate, but then he began picking up all these other passengers. We had no choice but to stay on the minibus, although we wanted to get off, and it seemed like he was going everywhere BUT El Remate! He was also very typical of some of the men here, wearing lots of gold chains, shirt unbuttoned down to his navel, winking at me alot and calling me angel.

When we finally got to the hotel in El Remate we were exhausted.
We had chosen a hotel off the internet called Hostal Hermano Pedro, because it promised free breakfast, a shuttle bus to Tikal, and it took credit cards. We had reserved a room online, however, when we arrived they knew nothing of it. They also had no free breakfast, no shuttlebus to Tikal, and in fact it was a terrible hotel. It seemed to be run entirely by a single 12 year old girl, and the mysterious owner-who apparently was in charge of making the breakfast, but was in Guatemala City, and thats why there was no breakfast!-anyway, the mysterious owner never showed up, the entire time we stayed there.

I was feeling very bad, very sick, with what I thought was a cold at this point. Pretty much, while Moira wandered around, I stayed at the hotel, trying to get better. While hanging around, I met a wonderful woman traveler named Jackie, who is 65 and quite the world traveler. We talked alot, and I interviewed her for this blog. Talking to her made me realize how much I would have like to read interviews with women actually traveling solo around the world before I went on my trip. I learned so much from this interesting woman!

I did manage to walk around El remate a little bit. from those walks, I can safely say that I have no idea why the Lonely Planet guide suggests people stay here. It is true that there is a shuttlebus, but it costs the same as a bus from Flores to Tikal, so you´re not saving any money whatsoever. Plus, you´re at the mercy of the taxis if you miss the last bus!

The town itself borders a very nice lake, and is designed on a grid. The main road itself and all of the offshoots were gringoville. Lots of expensive food, lots of outrageously expensive trinkets..just not my thing at all. There was a rather interesting hippie scene, complete with dreadlocked folks making jewlry for sale and firethrowers in the evening.

The worst part of the town-other than the lack of affordable food, as we only found one cheap empanada stand on our entire street!-was that the sewers were extremely odiferous. I mean, the place stank of sewage, no matter where you were. The sewage system seemed to consist solely of shallow trenches in between, and sometimes right thru the center, of the buildings…for example, Jackie and I went to get a pizza, and after we sat down, we realized our table was directly on top of the sewage trench! Only a board or two was between us and the river of smelly sludge!

We did go into Flores for one day and wandered around. Staying away from the touristy parts was difficult, but we did discover the large mercado which had everything you could think of. At one point we heard some really great ranchera-cowboy-music, coming out of a cantina with red lace curtain. We lingered for one minute too long in the doorway, and before we knew it a large hairy tattoed man had his hands on our arms and was rather insistent that we enter. We didn´t off course, but we got a good glimpse of the inside,where a small band played as tons of guys in cowboy hats bought lots of beer for some scantily-clad women. Obvoiusly, it was more than a bar, in the sense we know of a bar, it doubled as a brothel, too.

Flores itself had some seediness to it, but it was cheap, and far more interesting than El Remate. There is a nicer, sort of yuppie part of Flores, too, but I didn´t get to visit that area until a few days later.

One night I was really sick, and I lost my appetitie entirely. I thought maybe it was still the dengue, or malaria, but truthfully I had no idea. I was worried, but then seemed to feel better, so we decided to head to Tikal.

Tikal was-enormous, is the first word I think of. The grounds themselves are huge, and it really is impossible to see everything.

Secondly, they are mysterious. its rather hard to believe that this entire civilation existed, thrived, died, and disappeared from anyones´conciousness or history for so long. It was rather magically rediscovered in 1848, when Guatemala sent some folks out to examine it. Obviously, people knew of it´s existence in the past at some point, but there was a rather large period where it seemed to have been forgotten. Some Spanish friars wrote a bit about it, but it was all rather vague, and no one seemed motivated to do anything in terms of investigation until 1848!

Plenty of people came from around the world to work on the site, but it really wasn´t until the rather late date of 1956 that work began in earnest. This was due to a wide variety of reasons-the remoteness of the site, the cost involved, and the condition of the structures.

The strutures themselves were all buried under enormous mounds of earth, completely forested, and had to be excavated from the mounds. Even now, when I walked around Tikal, there were many structures still covered in huge mounds of earth and trees, like min mountains. Only a mere thirty percent of the structures have been uncovered to date, and work has been stopped on much of the excavation, as the government has run out of money-so they say, anyway!

The interesting thin for me at the site was how differnet it was than the ruins in Copan, Honduras, which we had recently visited. In Copan, you can see incredible detail on all of the structures-faces, warriors, mayan calendars, inscriptions-even the original paint! But in Tikal, hardly any of this was to be seen. Tikal was sort of like enormous cement cinderblock structures, without any fine detail.

This is because of the materials each site had available. In Tikal, they made their own bricks from what they had available, which was a soft, coarse stone-a little like what we think of when we think about cement. But in Copan, They had different minerals in their bricks they made, and this made the bicks and stone very hard. What this translates into is that the soft stone in Tikal basically has disentigrated, while the harder stone in Copan remains astonishingly intact.

One thing about Tikal that has stayed with me is how tiny I felt-which is exactly how these monolith structures must have made their original inhabitants feel. The amount of sacrifices neccessary to maintain all of the temples was pretty shocking as well.

The Mayan inhabitants of tikal were brilliant in terms of mathematics, science, and astronomy..and yet they mysteriously disappaered and know one seems to know exactly why-although there are plenty of theories. They just vanished.

We did take a tour at Tikal -mostly because we were advised to do by numerous guidebooks, due to an increase in robberies and rapes there. But while there, I saw many people walking around without a guide, and they didn´t seem to have any problems whatsoever with getting robbed and so on..I think women could definitely walk around, at least in pairs, and be at ease in most of the park.

Our guide moved rather quickly, and I had to stop and rest alot-I was feeling absolutley exhausted, and upset because we came all this way for the experience and I felt too unwell to enjoy it. By the time we were done with the tour, I was really out of it and decdied to take a nap on the grass while we awaited for our bus.



Tags:

693 responses to “Tikal”

  1. JosephIromb says:

    https://edpill.pro/# new ed treatments

  2. JamesKAT says:

    https://sildenafilpills.pro/# sildenafil citrate 100mg tablets

  3. JosephIromb says:

    https://edpill.pro/# top rated ed pills

  4. LutherBRUMN says:

    what is aviator game how to win aviator game how to win aviator on sportybet

  5. it was a very nice blog thanks for sharing

  6. HowardLug says:

    aviator sinyal hilesi indir
    aviator nereden oynan?r

  7. pgkk says:

    ทดลองเล่นสล็อต pg ไม่ เด้ง 2023 เล่นผ่านมือถือ พีซีได้อย่างง่ายดาย รองรับทุกระบบ มีมากมายหลากหลายค่ายให้เลือกเล่น

  8. RNS-MO-net says:

    Разрешение на строительство — это административный запись, предоставляемый уполномоченными ведомствами государственного управления или субъектного руководства, который допускает начать стройку или исполнение строительных операций.
    Получение разрешения на строительство предписывает нормативные положения и условия к стройке, включая допустимые типы работ, дозволенные материалы и способы, а также включает строительные регламенты и пакеты защиты. Получение разрешения на стройку является необходимым документов для строительной сферы.

  9. RNS-MO-net says:

    Разрешение на строительство — это официальный письменное удостоверение, предоставленный официальными структурами государственного аппарата или местного самоуправления, который разрешает начать строительную деятельность или исполнение строительных операций.
    Получение разрешения на строительство назначает нормативные основания и стандарты к стройке, включая дозволенные виды работ, дозволенные материалы и способы, а также включает строительные нормы и комплекты безопасности. Получение разрешения на возведение является необходимым документов для строительной сферы.

  10. pg gameinter88 says:

    pg gameinter88 เกมสล็อต ออนไลน์กับค่ายนี้เยี่ยมที่สุด เป็นค่ายเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ ที่มีความปลอดภัยสูง เนื่องจากเล่นได้นานาประการแบบอย่าง pg slot เล่นแล้วทำเงินผลกำไรได้จริง

  11. scholding says:

    Быстромонтируемые строения – это современные системы, которые различаются громадной быстротой установки и гибкостью. Они представляют собой конструкции, образующиеся из предварительно выделанных деталей либо узлов, которые имеют возможность быть быстро установлены в территории застройки.
    Строительство здания из сэндвич панелей стоимость владеют гибкостью и адаптируемостью, что позволяет просто менять а также трансформировать их в соответствии с потребностями покупателя. Это экономически выгодное а также экологически стабильное решение, которое в последние годы получило маштабное распространение.

  12. Быстромонтируемые здания – это новейшие конструкции, которые различаются высокой скоростью строительства и гибкостью. Они представляют собой конструкции, состоящие из заранее выделанных компонентов или компонентов, которые имеют возможность быть скоро собраны в районе стройки.
    Стоимость здания из сэндвич панелей обладают податливостью также адаптируемостью, что дает возможность легко преобразовывать и модифицировать их в соответствии с пожеланиями клиента. Это экономически продуктивное а также экологически стойкое решение, которое в крайние годы заполучило широкое распространение.

  13. Быстровозводимые строения – это актуальные конструкции, которые отличаются высокой скоростью строительства и мобильностью. Они представляют собой сооружения, состоящие из предварительно выделанных составных частей либо узлов, которые способны быть скоро установлены на пункте строительства.
    Монтаж быстровозводимых зданий из сэндвич панелей владеют гибкостью и адаптируемостью, что позволяет просто изменять а также адаптировать их в соответствии с потребностями покупателя. Это экономически продуктивное а также экологически долговечное решение, которое в последние лета заполучило обширное распространение.

  14. lava900 สล็อต pg เว็บไซต์ สล็อตแตกง่าย เว็บไซต์ พนัน สล็อตออนไลน์ pg slot ที่มาพร้อมกฏเกณฑ์ที่ แตกง่าย แตกจริง LAVA900 โบนัส เยอะแยะ แจ็คพอตแตกไว พร้อมเกมพนัน ยอดนิยม มาก

  15. UFA22AUTO says:

    UFA22AUTO รวมทุกเกมเดิมพัน! 🎮 คาสิโนออนไลน์ทุกเกมส์ ฝาก-ถอนฉับไว! 💸 รับโปรโมชั่นสุดพิเศษตอนนี้! 💥 จ่ายจริง ไม่ต้องกังวล! 💰 #UFA22AUTO

  16. ร่วมสนุกกับ 222WINBET สล็อตแตกง่าย! โอกาสชนะรางวัลใหญ่รออยู่แค่เพียงการกดสปินเท่านั้น!

  17. maxnet says:

    y9สล็อต The best website betting online , slot online , barccarat and lotto online.

  18. qwer says:

    อัพเดทช่องทางเข้าเล่นเงินจริงเล่นง่ายผ่านมือถือที่รองรับทุกระบบทั้ง IOS & ANDROID ทดลองเล่นสล็อตฟรีทุกเกม มีเกมสล็อตในค่ายให้เลือกมากกว่า 5,000 เกมที่ระบบยอมรับได้ และเข้าใจความหมายอื่นๆ เทียบกับค่ายอื่นๆ มีแจ็คพอตสำหรับทั้งรางวัลเล็ก และใหญ่ที่รับรองว่าเจ้าของได้กำไรอย่างแน่นอน

  19. qwer says:

    เว็บสล็อตสุดฮอดตอันดับ 1 เล่นเลยวันนี่มีโปรเด็ดๆ ให้เลือกมากมาย ลาวาสล็อต มีเกมให้เลือกเล่นมากมาย เช่น เกมปลาเกมสล็อตและเกมอื่นๆ เกมโจ๊กจัดให้อย่างที่ต้องการเพื่อให้ยิงได้สนุกสุดๆ โบนัสแตกบ่อย

  20. qwer says:

    เกมคาสิโนดีที่สุดในการเล่นเกมคาสิโนกับเพื่อนของเรา racha slot มีเกมให้เลือกเดิมพันมากมาย อัพเดทเกมใหม่ๆ อยู่เสมอ ไม่พลาดทุกกระแสเกมฮิต บริการฝาก-ถอนระบบออโต้ด้วยตัวเองง่ายๆ

  21. qwer says:

    สล็อตระบบใหม่ล่าสุด 2023 สมัครง่าย โบนัสแตกง่าย ฝาก-ถอน เร็วสุด ๆ ผ่านระบบออโต้ ok slot เว็บไซต์ให้บริการเดิมพันออนไลน์ สล็อตแตกง่าย คาสิโน บาคาร่าสด วิดีโอเกมสล็อตออนไลน์สุดมันส์ รวมทุกค่าย เล่นได้บนเว็บไซต์ เล่นเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ได้ทุกค่าย

  22. qwer says:

    เกมสล็อต ออนไลน์ จากค่าย ไอบีซ่า88 มีเกมให้เลือกเล่นมากมายบนเว็บของเรา ครบวงจรที่สุดและพบกับเกมที่รวบรวมจากค่ายเกมจะได้รับอย่างเกมจากค่าย PGSLOT ค่าย SLOTXO ค่าย JOKER สามารถแข่งขัน บน เว็บเดิมพัน 100%

  23. 99ruay says:

    Deposits and withdrawals, slots, no minimum popular Nowadays, online slot betting has a variety of options available in the form of online. with different service providers Many people are often interested in earning extra income by playing gambling games, especially games. 99ruay have no minimum.

  24. สมัครวันนี้รับเครดิตฟรีทันทีที่ 222WINBET! มีโอกาสเดิมพันและรับโบนัสแบบไม่ต้องฝากเงิน!

  25. HUAY5 แหล่งรวม สูตรยี่กี หลากหลายแนวทาง นำไปแทงตามๆกันได้หมานๆเด้อ

  26. เข้าเล่นทันทีกับ 222WINBET เว็บตรงไม่ผ่านเอเย่นต์ ประสบการณ์การเดิมพันที่ดีที่สุดสำหรับคุณ

  27. naga slot says:

    สล็อตทดลองเล่นฟรี naga slot เกมใหม่แตกง่าย ได้เงินจริง2023 สมัครวันนี้ รับทันที เครดิตฟรี100% เล่นได้ทุกค่ายเกม

  28. https://okslotauto168.net says:

    เว็บใหม่มาแรง http://www.okslotauto168.net ศูนย์รวมเกมทำเงินบนมือถือ เล่นง่าย ได้เงินจริง รวมเกมแตกง่าย มากถึง 1,000 เกม ฝากถอนไม่มีขั้นต่ำ ที่นี่ที่เดียว

  29. nagagames-th.io says:

    แนะนำเว็บใหม่มาแรง2024 nagagames-th.io รวมเกมแตกง่ายได้เงินจริง อันดับ 1 ใหญ่ที่สุดในตอนนี้ เล่นฟรี 24 ชั่วโมง

  30. ทดลองเล่นสล็อต says:

    ทดลองเล่นสล็อต ฟรีทุกค่าย2024 แหล่งรวมสล็อตออนไลน์ เกมทำเงินบนมือถือ เล่นง่ายได้เงินจริง

  31. ทดลองเล่นสล็อต 2024 says:

    สมัครเล่นฟรี ทดลองเล่นสล็อต 2024 รวมทุกค่ายในเว็บเดียว แจกเครดิตฟรี100% ที่นี่ที่เดียว !

  32. สล็อต pg ใหม่ ล่าสุด 2024 อัพเดทเกมไวก่อนใครทดลองเล่นสล็อต สล็อตpg 2023 ใหม่ รวดเร็วทันใจ เรียกได้ว่าอัพเดทกันแบบเรียงไทม์ ค่ายเกม ลงเกมหมดปุ๊บ ก็สามารถเข้ามา ทดลองเล่นสล็อต pg ใหม่ กับเราได้ทันที เพราะเราเป็นพาร์ทเนอร์ กับหลายๆค่าย

  33. alicebobby says:

    You’ve come this far and I think that’s great, keep chasing your dreams and one day you’ll reach the top and then you’ll see how great you’ve become . tunnel rush

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *