BootsnAll Travel Network



Things I Miss Most About Travel in India, Now That I Am Home–And The Things I Don’t Miss One Bit!

Yet another “Top Ten List”, or rather, several!

Things I Miss Most About Travel, (in no particular order)

1.  I miss the kids. Not just the kids at the orphanage, but the kids I saw on the streets..I miss their genuine smiles and their playfulness and their delight when they saw me walking up their street. I miss their toothy grins and their street games and the way they held each other’s hands.

2.  I miss the sense of adventure–constantly walking into one weird situation after another, getting lost, not quite knowing what I was doing but having it all, somehow, work out. Being back at home is an adventure, too–but of a different sort.

3.  I miss the routine. Adventure and routine at the same time? yes, it’s possible. Volunteering everyday gave me a destination, a sense of where I was in a foreign land. Coming back home and having the doctor tell me (despite my protests!) to “take it easy for awhile” means I spend alot of time not doing much but thinking and resting. Which isn’t exactly a lifestyle filled with appointments or any sense of routine!

4.  Getting to know perfect strangers who I would never have the chance to meet otherwise. This is something I really really miss. So many people enriched my life so profoundly, so deeply. I made so many friends on my trip that if I ever sign up to participate in couchsurfing my couch may never be empty. Actually, it’sa not just friends who were also travelers, but also locals. For example the extended Muslim family who adopted me in India, and treated me like one of their own. They taught me more about being loved and what that means than I thought I had the capacity to learn.

5. Weird food. Ok, so I’m kind of glad that I’m back at home and can eat familiar things again..but part of me misses that reaction, “You mean, I’m supposed to eat that?!” and going for it. I don’t miss eating bugs and worms and so on, but I miss having the chance to actually do it.

6. Real, honest to goodness, goodness. Realness.This might sound like an odd thing to include, but one thing I really miss is that, for me, travel was so real that it made me and those around me be very real with one another. Working with a bunch of volunteers on a site had it’s tough moments–like when something happened someone couldn’t handle–but what was wonderful was that people built such community based on who we were and what we were trying to do together. When you are in that kind of situation, you just get pretty frank and right to the point. There’s no sense in “beating around the bush.” You are who you are and as long as your heart is in the right place, you are accepted.

7. My sense of place. Coming back home, sometimes I feel like I’m just “treading water” barely able to keep up with societal expectations and so on. On the road, I knew who I was and where I was going. It was simple. Life back home=complex.

8. Not being tied to “stuff”. Living out of a single backpack means..you don’t have alot of stuff. Once coming back home, I already feel that attachement growing and I try my best to tame it but it can be difficult.

9. Feeling deep pain and sorrow. I know it sounds crazy, but being around things that were sad and difficult meant that I grew alot as a person in a very short time. I miss that intensity.

10. The love and warmth of the Bengali people and Indian culture in general–I was part of an extended family. Here at home people don’t even know their own next door neighbors. It’s pretty strange.

Ten things I don’t miss one bit!:

1. Computer keyboards that have all of the letters worn off.

2. Blackouts. Losing an entire blog entry due t the power going off. Traveling across town to email someone and having the power go out on the way there.

3. Lice. Enough said. I wil spare any details except to say it was a constant battle in India and they won alot of the time.

4. Dirty feet. Oh my God. I spent almost two years of my life washing my feet in a bucket . Occassionally I would slosh some disinfectant on them. That’s it.

5. Undrinkable tap water. Most of the world’s water is unpotable. I do not miss filling landfills with my plastic bottles from water I have had to buy. I do not miss being very thirsty and having to divide the water I had left, portioning it out to make it last. I do not miss drinking Fanta as that was all they had where ever I was.

6. A lack of toilets for women. Do third world women ever pee? I guess not. Perhaps they have bladders of steel. Once, I got on a train–a long distance train, one for the lower classes, the cheapie train..and discovered there was no bathroom. After 9 hours I thought I would die. I did not care if I ever made it to my final destination–all I cared about was that I would get to a toilet and get some relief soon! I got of the train and when i finally found a bathroom, it was so disgusting that I was sickened to have to even use it. No wonder some women stay at home. It’s just too much trouble to go anywhere.

7. Not being able to be alone. Women, in particular, visiting off the beaten track places often are encouraged to have a man with them. I would not say this is because people didn’t think they can’t do things are their own–I would say this is because men in the places they are visiting can make it very hard for them. Still, even with a male friends around, so many times I wanted to break out and run free!

8. Danger. I never liked putting myself at risk, but I did do that every once in awhile, usually because I did not know any better.

9. Poop in the streets. Yeah, this is a biggie. Coming home and seeing everything so tidy, with no piles of human excrement in the gutters..wow , it was a huge change. I was used to dodging poop in the streets and carefully looking where I was going at all times in India. Included in this category would be constantly averting my eyes from someone squatting in the streets doing their business, or men urinating willy nilly. Definitely don’t miss it or the assault on my olefactory senses…

10. Dust. Dust and dirt and filth covering everything, everywhere. Dust so bad that it covered all of the plants and leaves of trees making them look gray and dun- colored. Dust so bad that it covered everyhting in the hotel room when I propped a window open. Dust so bad that in the morning, I would wake up coughing black dust and my nose would be black.

And Top Ten Things I love About finally being Home:

1. I am a woman and I get to decide what my life is going to be. I get to live alone, drive a car, vote, talk to the people I want to.

2. Living in a capitalist culture instead of a failed socialist experiment(West Bengal).

3. Having my own computer and being able to be connected to the world in a fundamental way, whenever I want to be.

4. Having a dog and cat as companions. Chubby, happy companions..instead of seeing cats on the edge of starvation or pariah dogs eating trash in the street. It’s a big contrast.

5. Recycling. Um, India desn’t recycle anything. It just gets thrown away. Outside. on the grund. Maybe someone, a trash picker, will come along and collect it, maybe not. But recycling? Nope.

6. Refrigerators. You mean I can buy stuff, like cheese, for more than just today? Amazing.

7. Let’s face it, cheese needs to be on this list. Where would I be without cheese?

8. Public libraries. Anothier biggie. I simply can’t believe what we have available here in terms of media and resources. I have been visiting my local library at least three times a week since I got back. Why buy any books? It’s unbelievable!

9. Coffee. Coffee in India is like..milky colored water with coffee flavoring. I have decided this is why they have to drink so many cups of the stuff–there’s only a miniscule amount of coffee in the cup, so that transates to=no caffiene. Thank God for my local coffee shop, Steady Eddy’s. A great cup of Joe.

10. Solitude. Ah, silence. In India it did not exist except ever so briefly at 3 am. Here, I can wake up in the morning, hear no noises except a few crickets, take the dog for a early morning walk and hear nothing but the crunch of our feet in the gravel. Amazing. Pure bliss.

I guess it all balances out….

gigi



Tags:

459 responses to “Things I Miss Most About Travel in India, Now That I Am Home–And The Things I Don’t Miss One Bit!”

  1. sex toys says:

    check below, are some completely unrelated internet sites to ours, even so, they’re most trustworthy sources that we use

  2. I think this is one of the most important information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The website style is ideal, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

  3. just beneath, are numerous totally not connected internet sites to ours, however, they’re surely really worth going over

  4. check beneath, are some completely unrelated sites to ours, nevertheless, they’re most trustworthy sources that we use

  5. diffusers says:

    Here are several of the web sites we advise for our visitors

  6. Every when in a even though we decide on blogs that we read. Listed beneath would be the most current web sites that we select

  7. although internet sites we backlink to below are considerably not associated to ours, we feel they may be in fact really worth a go as a result of, so have a look

  8. You are my inhalation , I have few blogs and infrequently run out from to post .I believe this website has got some rattling good info for everyone. “In this world second thoughts, it seems, are best.” by Euripides.

  9. Milan Zacate says:

    Magnificent web site. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to several friends ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thank you for your effort!

  10. todomazda says:

    check below, are some entirely unrelated sites to ours, nevertheless, they may be most trustworthy sources that we use

  11. here are some links to internet sites that we link to simply because we assume they are worth visiting

  12. homesite says:

    Hi there are using WordPress for your blog platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and set up my own. Do you require any coding knowledge to make your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!|

  13. Solar Of Hawaii – Buy Solar panels & Complete Solar Systems- Solar Systems Services including #1 rated Solar World & Mitsubishi Electric Solar Power on the Big Island of Hawaii. Professional Solar Installation Available in Hawaii.

  14. I truly enjoy looking through on this web site , it contains superb blog posts. “Those who complain most are most to be complained of.” by Matthew Henry.

  15. Sites of interest we’ve a link to

  16. Link exchange is nothing else except it is simply placing the other person’s blog link on your page at appropriate place and other person will also do same in favor of you.|

  17. Ed Sigg says:

    Just wanna comment that you have a very nice site, I like the style it really stands out.

  18. hawaii solar says:

    Solar Of Hawaii – Buy Solar panels & Complete Solar Systems- Solar Systems Services including #1 rated Solar World & Mitsubishi Electric Solar Power on the Big Island of Hawaii. Professional Solar Installation Available in Hawaii.

  19. we came across a cool internet site which you could enjoy. Take a appear in the event you want

  20. Thank you for sharing superb informations. Your web site is very cool. I’m impressed by the details that you’ve on this site. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for more articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found just the information I already searched all over the place and simply couldn’t come across. What a perfect website.

  21. Leia Paris says:

    I gotta favorite this website it seems very useful handy

  22. just beneath, are many totally not connected websites to ours, nevertheless, they may be surely worth going over

  23. although web-sites we backlink to below are considerably not connected to ours, we really feel they are really worth a go via, so possess a look

  24. lovedolls says:

    that is the finish of this write-up. Here you’ll come across some websites that we assume you’ll value, just click the hyperlinks over

  25. just beneath, are quite a few absolutely not related web-sites to ours, even so, they are certainly really worth going over

  26. Great beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog site? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea

  27. I must get across my affection for your kindness for folks that need assistance with this important subject matter. Your personal dedication to getting the message throughout ended up being rather helpful and have in every case enabled many people much like me to attain their endeavors. Your amazing helpful instruction entails a lot to me and far more to my colleagues. Thank you; from all of us.

  28. that will be the end of this report. Here you’ll find some internet sites that we feel you will enjoy, just click the hyperlinks over

  29. that would be the end of this article. Right here you will come across some web pages that we think you will value, just click the hyperlinks over

  30. although internet websites we backlink to below are considerably not related to ours, we really feel they’re really worth a go via, so possess a look

  31. please visit the web-sites we follow, such as this 1, as it represents our picks from the web

  32. always a large fan of linking to bloggers that I enjoy but do not get a great deal of link enjoy from

  33. I together with my friends were actually studying the excellent things on your web page and unexpectedly I had an awful suspicion I had not expressed respect to you for those tips. Most of the men had been for this reason very interested to read them and now have extremely been using those things. Appreciation for turning out to be so kind and for obtaining this sort of really good subjects millions of individuals are really desperate to be aware of. My honest apologies for not saying thanks to earlier.

  34. Ruben Moyler says:

    Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article. I’ll make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.

  35. here are some links to sites that we link to for the reason that we assume they’re really worth visiting

  36. Carter Moles says:

    Merely wanna remark that you have a very nice site, I enjoy the style and design it really stands out.

  37. magnificent points altogether, you simply won a logo new reader. What may you recommend about your post that you made a few days ago? Any sure?

  38. very handful of sites that transpire to be detailed below, from our point of view are undoubtedly nicely worth checking out

  39. Jada Curtner says:

    It’s in point of fact a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you just shared this useful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

  40. You are my intake , I own few blogs and often run out from to post .

  41. check below, are some totally unrelated sites to ours, nonetheless, they may be most trustworthy sources that we use

  42. we came across a cool internet site which you may possibly appreciate. Take a look for those who want

  43. ipad repair says:

    the time to study or visit the content material or web sites we’ve linked to below the

  44. Here is a superb Weblog You might Discover Exciting that we Encourage You

  45. here are some links to sites that we link to mainly because we think they are worth visiting

  46. buy kona says:

    The information and facts talked about in the write-up are a few of the ideal accessible

  47. Keep up the fantastic work , I read few posts on this website and I think that your blog is real interesting and contains sets of great info .

  48. Wonderful beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a blog site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea

  49. buy kona says:

    Every the moment inside a while we choose blogs that we study. Listed beneath are the latest sites that we select

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *